Student Association holds the first meeting of the 2021-2022 school year

Student Association logo. Image obtained from the UWL Student Association Facebook Page.

Julia Wille, Student Government Reporter

On Wednesday, Sept 8, the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Student Association (SA) met for the first time for the 2021-2022 school year. SA met in person in the senate chambers and swore in the new executive cabinet, senators, and discussed the signature requirement to run for senate.    

The executive cabinet members were picked by the president and vice president over the summer. The positions are as follows, Director of Staff Olivia Woodmansee, State Affairs Director Sydney Navoichick, Local Affairs Director Amy Schweiner, Inclusivity Director Paige Vang, Sustainability Director Sophie Byrne, Public Relations Director Jamie Henk, and Secretary Aryssa Zasada. They were officially sworn in and SA President Jared Zwettler said, “they are very eager to get to work.”  

The SA also introduced a resolution to support the victims of the Copeland Park attack. Over the summer there was an attack on two transgender teens that is now considered a hate crime. The SA “brought this forward as a motion to support the victims” said Student Senator Cait McReavy. The statement of support will be sent to the La Crosse District Attorney.   

The SA also talked about a resolution to allow the Recreational Eagle Center to use its courts for a club volleyball tournament. The REC is paid for by using student funds and therefore the SA gets a say in the use of its facilities. Everything except for the courts and space needed for the tournament will still be available to the students for the tournament. The main concern brought forward was what COVID-19 guidelines were going to be put in place. Anyone attending the tournament will have to follow COVID-19 restrictions that are in place on the UWL campus and will change as campus policies change.  

The final point of discussion in the meeting revolved around the need for signatures when students run for senate seats. When elections are held for senate positions, candidates are required to get 25 signatures from the student body supporting their candidacy. In the past two years of elections, this requirement has been waved for COVID-19 safety reasons. This requirement will likely be removed for this semester again for health safety reasons. The SA is now deciding whether to permanently remove this requirement. They will continue to discuss this possibility as the semester continues.