Her Campus, A Collegiette’s Guide to Life, launches at UW-L

Kasey Overgaard, Staff Reporter

A Collegiette is “a college woman who is on top of her game—strategically career-minded, distinctly fashionable, socially connected, academically driven and smartly health-conscious, who endeavors to get the most out of her college experience on every level (hercampus.com).”
At UW-La Crosse, females make up 57 percent of the student population (uwlax.edu). That’s nearly 6,000 collegiettes on campus. With such a high population of females at UW-L, isn’t it about time there were a Collegiette’s guide to help those women on these endeavors?
Her Campus is an online magazine, a Collegiette’s guide to life, which does just that. The website offers women advice about anything from style and health to love and career.
Her Campus allows universities all over the world to start up their own guides, called Her Campus Chapters, for women specifically attending their school. On Tuesday, Nov. 11, UW-L students, Emily Schulz and Tianna Vanderhei, launched UW-L’s very own Her Campus chapter at hercampus.com.
Schulz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, said readers could expect to see a lot of local material that pertains to campus. Sections include Events, Features, Campus Celebrities, Campus Cuties, Blog and Snapshot.
The issues are not always serious.“It’s a lot of BuzzFeed stuff,” said Schulz, “like Great hairstyles for dirty hair—fun stuff like that.”
Schulz said she hopes to reach more people with the site—not only La Crosse students, but, also, prospective students and more. With more than 3.5 million monthly visitors to Hercampus.com, this is surely achievable.
Three undergraduate students at Harvard University founded Her Campus in 2009, when it was awarded winner in Harvard College’s business plan competition. It was also a Gold Winner and Best All-Around team in MassChallenge in 2011 and named Top Small Business of the Year by the Boston Chamber of Commerce in 2013.
Besides the online magazine, Her Campus offers the HC Study Break email newsletter, Her Campus Blogger Network, High School Ambassador Program, Her Conference, Her Campus Shop and College Fashion Week.
“What I really like about [Her Campus] is that it’s geared toward women,” Schulz said.
As a Women Studies minor, Schulz thinks it’s important to have something out there primarily for women. “I think it’s good to empower women,” Schulz said.
Her Campus also has an LGBTQ section where students can find articles such as 7 Queer-Girl Dating Problems (& How to Deal) and Body Love: Your Guide to Self Confidence.
Students interested in Her Campus can support UW-L’s Chapter by liking them on Facebook (Her Campus U Wisconsin-La Crosse) and following them on Instagram (hercampusuwlax) and Twitter (@HerCampusUWLax).
Marketing for the UW-L Her Campus chapter is mainly word-of-mouth as of now, but Schulz hopes that news will spread fast through mutual friends.
Schulz and Vanderhei are still looking for people to help work and write for the UW-L chapter.
Schulz said, “It can be a big commitment.” However, she and Vanderhei are working on a system that will relieve some of this pressure for their writers. Meanwhile, Schulz and Vanderhei have been producing content for the site, and students can see weekly issues from here on out.