Adopting an organic diet: Is it worth your extra cash?

Alexis Zuel, Staff Reporter

Throughout the world today, many people are on diets.  Diets that  are subjects of debate are organic diets.  Some critics debate whether organic foods are a healthier option, or just the same as regular foods.  There are quite a few advantages and disadvantages to being on an organic diet.
One advantage stated by the Food Safety News is that organic foods contain higher levels of antioxidants than conventionally grown versions.
“Switching to eating organic foods provides consumers 20 to 40 percent more antioxidants, which would be equivalent to eating between one to two extra servings of fruit and vegetables a day,” said Lydia Zuraw, a writer from Food Safety News.
Another advantage is that organic foods have fewer pesticides. According to Livestrong.com, organic farmers do not use chemicals to process their products, which eliminates most of the residue on your foods and they also do not use synthetic fertilizers to bulk up crop size. Conventional farmers are known to use chemicals that will leave residue of pesticides on the produce.
Eating organic meats, such as chicken and pork, may reduce your exposure to antibiotic-resistant bacteria.  Organic farmers protect the environment better when growing their crops. “It saves soil and water and reduces pollution,” said Max Whitmore, a writer for Live Strong.
The number one drawback for adopting an organic diet would be the price of organic foods. They are fairly expensive. This happens because organic farmers do not grow a ton of crops, producing less and having to raise the price for the products.  Also, with the lack of chemical preservatives the organic food has a shorter shelf life.
A Live Strong article talked about a review of studies done over a 45-year period. After reviewing 17 human studies and 223 studies of nutrient and contaminant levels in foods, researchers found little evidence pointing to superior health benefits in organic foods versus conventional foods. Even the United States Department of Agriculture makes no claims that organic farming methods produce safer foods with higher nutritional value compared with conventionally produced foods.
Buying organic foods as a college student takes time and money, both of which many students do not have much of.
Freshman Sam Gostisha said, “I would start an organic diet, but as a UW-L freshman, I do not have the money or transportation to go get organic foods at a store.” Gostisha also stated that she felt, “Organic foods can sometimes be better for you than regular foods, but overall I do believe it is healthier for you.”
A freshman who has experienced an organic diet is Sanya Frescura; a year ago she went on an organic diet for three months.
“It was the best I had felt in a while. I felt healthier and like I was getting my money’s worth. The produce tasted better and everything,” said Frescura.
For more information contact registered dietician Katie Callahan, at [email protected].