Letter to the Editor: Students speak on behalf of Grant Mathu for County Board of Supervisors

Image+obtained+from+Jake+Williams.+

Image obtained from Jake Williams.

Grace Florence, Jake Williams, and Siri Flores, Guest Contributers

Jake Williams:

A few months ago, I launched a longshot bid for the La Crosse School Board because I genuinely believed that our community deserves thoughtful and nonpartisan leadership.  Despite not advancing to the upcoming general election, I still believe that our local government should strive toward the high expectations I have for it. That’s why I am extremely proud to endorse Grant Mathu’s candidacy for re-election to the La Crosse County Board of Supervisors.

Between his phenomenal meeting attendance record, his history of voting for initiatives that La Crosse residents care about, and his willingness to listen to concerned constituents, Grant Mathu is the clear choice for voters in the fifth district.  His two years of experience also make him a superb candidate, in that he already has deep knowledge of the issues our community faces and will continue to do an excellent job of advocating for us.

That’s why, if you live on (or near) the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse campus, I strongly encourage you to vote for Grant on April 5, 2022 from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.  Voting will be held in the Student Union, and students only need to bring their student ID card and a computer to get registered.  Thank you very much for considering this (and for making an informed decision on the 5.)!

Grace Florence: 

Traditionally, spring elections in Wisconsin have been nonpartisan.  That basically means that political parties keep themselves out of the process, or at least keep their involvement very limited.  In 2022, local parties (particularly the Republicans) have donated massive amounts of money to their handpicked candidates in an effort to increase the divisions in our community.

The reason I am excited to vote for Grant Mathu’s re-election to La Crosse County Board is because his platform is truly independent and centered around the things that UWL students and La Crosse residents want.  We want a clean environment, lower taxes, and government accountability, and Grant is the candidate who has a track record of supporting those things.

I hope that – on April 5, – you will join me in casting your ballot for Grant Mathu.  You can vote at the Union from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m., and all you need to do at the polls is verify your address on WINGS and bring your student ID card.  Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and inform yourself before the upcoming election!

Siri Flores

When the La Crosse County Board created a “Police Study Committee,” I was extremely interested in applying to be a citizen member, but I honestly wasn’t sure how to get involved.

That was until Grant Mathu (our current La Crosse County Supervisor) reached out and was willing to meet one-on-one with me about the opportunity.  He even took the time out of his day to help me submit an application to the County Board Chairperson and figure out what to do!

There are not a whole lot of local government representatives who would go to such lengths for one of their constituents, and I think that’s worth calling attention to. This is especially important because on April 5, we have the opportunity to re-elect Grant to keep serving as our County Supervisor.  We deserve someone who is engaged and willing to “go the extra mile,” and I am confident that he is that person.

If you live on UWL’s campus or in the surrounding area, please join me in voting for Grant on April 5 @ the Student Union.  Even if you aren’t registered to vote in La Crosse, all you’ll need to do is bring your student ID and a phone or computer that can access your WINGS account.  Thank you for considering this!

____________________________________________________

Letters to the Editor do not reflect the beliefs or values of The Racquet Press.