“Latinx people are the unsung heroes”: Students reflect on Hispanic Heritage Month

Photo taken by Anna Fischer.

Anna Fischer, Social Justice Reporter

As Hispanic Heritage Month wrapped up this past Saturday, Oct. 15, many Latinx-identifying students proudly celebrated their various Hispanic cultures at the second annual the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse “Latine Mentoring Social.”

The networking event took place in the Hall of Nations (1300 Centennial Hall) and was sponsored by the Latin American Student Organization (LASO), an on-campus multicultural student organization. Funding and support were provided by the UWL Institute for Latin American & Latino/a Studies (ILLAS) and the Department of Global Cultures and Languages.

“Because the start of Hispanic Heritage Month is so close to the start of the school year,” said LASO President Jazmin Gil, “we decided to do it at the end of the month instead of the beginning.”

The event featured a diverse variety of foods, a 50/50 raffle where participants could win LASO apparel, and a brief presentation from the LASO executive team and global languages staff.

“We invite students to get to know the other LatinX and global languages staff members on campus,” said Illyana Prado, LASO’s vice president, “It is a space to build community, learn about our identity, and share our different cultural experiences.”

There are around 400 LatinX students at UWL, but only around 20 are in LASO.

When talking about the organization, Prado said, “It is a very comforting, family-oriented space, which reflects the culture in general.” Gil echoed these statements and said LASO provides a “safe space on campus for those who are Latinx or Hispanic and go to [this] PWI.”

Prado also reflected on the negative stereotypes that continue to plague the Latinx community and how Hispanic Heritage Month sheds a more positive light on the community. “I think [the month] also brings to light LatinX peoples’ contributions, especially in the U.S., because honestly they are unsung heroes.”

The Latine Mentoring Social was not the only Hispanic Heritage Month event that took place on campus. Other events included recitals, lectures, a film screening, and more, and were free and open to the public as well.

“All the Hispanic Heritage Month events that went on around campus were coordinated by our group,” said Prado, “We put in a lot of hard work, the members and the exec. team.” For a complete list of the events, please click here.

According to the LASO executive team, identity, a sense of belonging, and community are the main goals that the club aspires to achieve. “It’s important for people to be recognized and see themselves in others where they are normally underrepresented,” said Gil.

Julia Lewis is one LASO member who said she strongly identifies with this statement. “I’m a part of LASO because I am half Brazilian, and there’s this weird thing where I’m not Hispanic but I’m Latina.”

Lewis said she often feels like an outsider because of her intersectionality but celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month still means a lot to her.

“You can’t generalize or stereotype,” Lewis continued. “Even though someone may not look like they belong in a group, they still might identify with one. It’s important to respect everyone’s history and culture.”

LASO meets every Thursday at 6:00 p.m. in 1403 Centennial Hall.