Adderall has number of side effects when misused

Tyler Frickson, Staff Reporter

Adderall is known as a type of drug called an amphetamine, legally used in a limited number of countries, most widely the United States as well as Canada.  This drug is primarily prescribed for the treatment of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), as well as narcolepsy.  It is available in two different forms: extended release and instant release.  Both forms are used for the treatment of ADD, however, only the instant release form is approved for the treatment of narcolepsy.  Unofficially, Adderall has also been used for the treatment of obesity, severe depression and other sleep-related disorders.
However, this same drug has begun to be used by many college students and is considered by some in this audience as a study aid.
Used in short periods, Adderall works to counteract ADD and narcolepsy by triggering the release of adrenaline, which increases the heart rate as well as the flow of blood to the muscles.  This results in feelings of energy and invigoration, similar to the high sometimes experienced after exercise.  Users typically report improvements in focus and concentration, which is why Adderall is being used illegally as a study aid.  It has also been known to be used by athletes to improve sports performance; thankfully many sporting bodies have taken steps to limit its use strictly to those with legitimate diagnoses of ADD.
Junior Andy Knope, a finance and management major, said, “I always heard that people use it for all-nighters to study, but I never really understood why it was needed.”
Once these initial feelings have worn off, however, Adderall users are known to become tired, depressed and irritable.  Some other common side effects of Adderall use can include future cardiovascular problems such as disrupted heart rhythm and increased blood pressure.  Loss of appetite is another one that has been reported, which can lead to excessive weight loss and other related issues.  Headaches, dryness of mouth and difficulty sleeping are others that can hinder those who abuse it.
Another danger to keep in mind is those who use Adderall as a recreational drug are at an even greater risk when it is mixed with alcohol.  Since Adderall counterbalances some signs of excessive alcohol consumption, alcohol poisoning becomes an extreme risk since those who succumb could happen without any prior warning.  Other complications can include alcohol and Adderall sharing dehydrating properties, as well as alcohol being a depressant, which can increase psychological issues associated with Adderall withdrawal.  Finally, due to Adderall’s stimulating properties, it is known to cause smokers to have an increased craving for cigarettes, thereby increasing the risk of smoking-related illnesses.
Overall, Adderall abuse is something that can cause dangerous habits to form, as well as an increase in addictive behaviors.  The stigma surrounding it is dangerous as it can draw more college students to consider it as a study tool.  Pharmaceuticals have their proper uses, but choosing to use them recreationally can create dangerous situations and lifestyle choices.