Alpha Phi sorority presents…Mr. Heartthrob, a male pageant dedicated to women’s heart health

Ellie Brown, Staff Reporter

You’ve probably been to a pageant before, but have you ever been to a male pageant? On March 5, Alpha Phi will be hosting their 2nd annual Mr. Heartthrob event in Valhalla.  The pageant showcases men from different clubs on campus who are all competing to be the number one Mr. Heartthrob. All money made from the pageant is donated the Alpha Phi Foundation, which supports women’s cardiac health.

So far, only a few contestants have been announced, each one representing their club or organization. First on the roster is Mr. CAB, Andreux Comstock. He will be representing Campus Activities Board. Next is Mr. Delta Sigma Phi, Joey Forman, representing his fraternity. Mr. RHAC, Jake Shimmel, is next on the list, showcasing his Residence Hall spirit. The last that has been announced is Mr. Vocals, Ben Anderson! There will be more contestants declared as the contest gets closer, so check out the UW-L Alpha Phi page on Facebook to stay updated.

Each of these men will be asked to prove why they deserve to be the next Mr. Heartthrob. Their tests will include showing off a secret talent, answering a series of questions, impressing the judges and most of all, showing their support for women’s heart health.

If you’re wondering who will help decide who the next Mr. Heartthrob will be, the judges include Coate Hall Director Lisa Weston, Tianna Vanderhei, UW-La Crosse Her Campus editor and last year’s Mr. Heartthrob, Adam Roberts.

Before attending Mr. Heartthrob, there are some important facts audiences should know about the cause that it’s supporting. Heart disease is the number one killer of women in America. It causes one in three deaths each year, which roughly translates to one woman per minute. It is also more deadly than all forms of cancer combined, and an estimated 43 million women in the U.S. are affected by heart disease. The symptoms of heart disease can be different in women and men and are often misunderstood.

Mark March 5 on your calendars and attend this year’s Mr. Heartthrob event. Prizes donated by Pepsi will be given out to audience members. One big winner of the night will even receive an iPad. So come show your support and be prepared to laugh and have a good time at this year’s Mr. Heartthrob in Valhalla, Cartwright Center at 6:30 p.m.