7 tips to cut spring break costs

Kasey Overgaard, Staff Reporter

While some students will be either working or lying around in the comfort of their homes during Spring Break, some will be trekking the country or flying somewhere warmer. Traveling over Spring Break can be costly and could put a student in more debt than they already were. However, there are ways to cut Spring Break costs so that the frugal college student can enjoy their trip rather than worry about their bill at the end of the day.
1. Student discounts and Groupons. The U.S. isn’t the only country that offers student discounts. There are many places around the world, such as restaurants and museums, that offer student discounts. Not all places do, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. Also, look for promotional codes and discounts on the Groupon app before leaving home.
2. Camp out or stay in hostels instead of hotels. Instead of spending hundreds on hotels and resorts, look for camping areas to cut costs on overnight stay. Hostels are also cheaper than hotels and are something to look into if traveling outside the U.S. They can cost as low as $10 a night and are similar to a dormitory. There are some theft and physical safety risks involved with hostels because they are host to other groups, as well. However, if travelling in a group, it’s possible to fill a room without having to share with other parties. Putting risks aside, travelers can make friends with other travelers that are staying in the same room or hostel as them.
3. Go grocery shopping. Instead of spending $10-$15, more or less, on restaurant prices and gratuities each meal, go grocery shopping at a local store to stock up on food for the rest of the trip.
4. Look for local restaurants and deals. Look for places outside of the tourist areas. Businesses usually run their prices higher than normal in tourist areas. Talk to locals there to find out where the best local restaurants and daily specials are.
5. Buy drinks in bulk. Rather than spending more money for drinks at the bars, have a couple drinks of your own before you go. Then, take a cab or walk if it’s close enough. Just like local restaurants, local bars may be cheaper than bars in touristy areas.
6. Look for free entertainment. Sometimes the fun costs more than the trip itself. There are ways to be entertained without having to spend anything at all. Beaches are almost always free. Grab a book and some sun tan lotion and play beach volleyball or go for a swim.  Also look for museums and similar places that have free entry days. The Louvre in Paris, for example, is free on first Sunday of every month.
7. Don’t buy souvenirs.  It can be tempting to buy all sorts of souvenirs on vacation. This can be very costly, so try not to buy things that can be consumed at home. Limit souvenir spending on t-shirts or trinkets that are meaningful and will bring back memories of the trip.