Four new student organizations are welcomed to UW-L

Kasey Overgaard, Staff Reporter

UW-La Crosse currently has 204 student organizations, but it doesn’t stop there. Just this year, Shotgun Shooting Club, Eagles Barbell Club, Men’s Basketball Club and Healthcare and Lifesciences Student Association (HLSA) have been added to the list.
The purpose of the Shotgun Shooting Club is to give shooters an opportunity to bond and learn more about the sport of shooting. Anyone with any level of experience is welcome. There is no fee at this time, however members are required to have a Hunter’s Safety license and provide their own equipment, including guns. Some ranges also require shooters to be Hunter Education certified. The club’s primary shooting spot, right now, is at the La Crosse Rifle Club.
Joshua Hopkins, primary contact for the club, said, “There are many negative opinions on the sport of shooting and gun control, so we want to show the campus and community that with proper rules and leadership, a program like this can be a huge success.”
Hopkins said safety is their first priority.
“We make sure you can properly handle a gun before we allow you to possess one,” he said.
All members are required to have safety glasses and hearing protection at all times at the range.
The Eagles Barbell Club was designed for students to learn proper lifting techniques, train for “absolute strength” in squat, bench press and deadlift and compete in competitions. Anyone is welcome, and there is no current fee. However, members are required to purchase the annual USAPL membership fee. The club meets at 7 p.m. Sundays in the Recreation Eagles Center (REC) lobby. Training times are 2:30 p.m. to 5pm Mondays and Wednesdays and 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at the REC, as well.
The Men’s Basketball Club’s purpose is to create an opportunity for students to use their talents in a positive manner and to develop determination, leadership and teamwork skills. There have been no official meetings or practices so far, but the club hopes to compete with other schools next year within the state and, eventually, the country. Anyone can join and there are no fees.
The first Healthcare and Lifesciences Student Association meeting will be held from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. April 8, in 259 Cartwright Center. Meetings include speakers, networking and help with resumes, LinkedIn profiles and interviews. The purpose of HSLA is to provide students with a resource to learn more about fields in healthcare and life sciences as well as provide them with future contacts and references.  Linsey Feit, President of the HSLA club, said students are their priority.
“We want students to realize and reach their full potential,” said Feit.
Anyone can join, even alumni, and there is no fee.
Feit said, “We want to create a network of stellar students, alumni and professionals to promote a better future for healthcare.”
The association is assisting with the promotion of the new academic program on campus—Healthcare Management. They also hope to partner with other student groups to set up fundraising and become a unified student association.