Flaming Hot Cheetos qualify as healthy?

Alexis Zuel, Staff Reporter

About little less than two years ago, elementary, middle and high schools were forced to change their standards for “Smart Snacks.”
Smart Snacks are snacks that are sold at lunch in a la carte lines, vending machines and any type of little shop inside of a school. The new rules for these snacks set limits on things such as sugars, fats and calories. There is an emphasis on having the students consume more protein, whole grains and fruits and vegetables.
With these new rules set in place, certain schools had to make major changes without costing them a bucket load of money. So, some schools added “healthier” options, but, as some found, these options are not really that healthy.
An example is Flamin’ Hot Cheetos. How do they fit the qualifications for a smart snack? Well, it seems that Cheetos actually do meet the requirements to be a “Smart Snack” under the nutrition guidelines for schools because they are a new version of Cheetos. These Flamin’ Hot Cheetos give students more whole grains while giving them less salt and less fat.
First Lady Michelle Obama, with help from President Obama, set new rules to try to eliminate the tons of junk food that kids eat in school. Certain states believe the guidelines were too strict and do not allow the schools to raise enough money through these healthier snack options.
Once students hit college, it is not as easy as it seems to stay away from the less healthy options, but not the worst food options. These strict guidelines are there to help the health of the world’s students.
UW-La Crosse’s Registered Dietitian Katie Callahan says that chips like Flamin’ Hot Cheetos and others that have been made with less fat or calories in them should not be considered healthy or a “Smart Snack.” Flamin’ Hot Cheetos are a processed food and processed foods are not healthy options for students.
“It would be best if schools all had the refrigerated vending machines and stacked them with apples, cheese sticks and beef jerky,” said Callahan.
She admits this can be very expensive, but in the end it can be a good result. Having “Smart Snacks” at schools is such a great idea, but schools need to really think about the snacks they are serving to their students. Snacking is very good for a person and it should be done two to three times a day in between meals.