Dietary Supplements Safe?

Nicole Witt, Staff Reporter

A common solution for dietary neglect is pills and supplements. Sometimes it is simply difficult to get every bit of nutrition someone needs for a healthy, full diet. Some things can be very expensive and some can be time consuming. Advertisements are everywhere, from vitamins to dietary supplements. Buyers tend to assume that what they are purchasing is safe and okay to use. But not everyone pays attention and reads into detail what they are actually putting into their bodies.

Dietary supplements cause thousands of Americans to be sent to the hospital every year. Most adults take at least one supplement every day or occasionally. These can be found in the form of vitamins, minerals, herbal remedies and many more. They are shelved in pills to powders to drinks and energy bars. Busy lives can defer people from getting what they need. So to make up for it, they seek another way and do not fully educate themselves.

There are a variety of reasons people are sent in. A lot of supplements are found in the pill form. This could lead to choking. There are many cases of children taking pills that are for adults. Also, some older adults have choked as well. Common supplements that were a culprit in hospital visits were either for weight loss or energy boosting. People aren’t always able to check in then check out either. A large portion of the population finds themselves in for a lengthier visit to receive more treatment.

Doctor Andrew Geller of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has taken a huge step by researching and studying supplements to try better understanding what thousands of Americans are doing. He found that not everything needed is listed on the labels, and not all people are reading or understand what is listed.

“We don’t have information about what’s contained in these products. And often times multiple active ingredients are combined into a single product. In addition, similarly named products can have very different active ingredients. For all those reasons it can be hard for consumers, clinicians and public health agencies to determine which, if any, of the specific active ingredients caused the observed effects.”

Though there are good cases for supplements. Some people are unable to get proper nutrition. They may be physically incapable of properly eating or there is some other sort of hindrance. Supplements can aid a person struggling. One should not just depend on their pills or powder to get them through a healthy life though.

Before diving into a supplement, be sure to research. There are many certified articles on line. Also a trip to the doctor could be a smart choice. They could run tests and figure out what is best for the patient. Aside from doctors, there is a variety of health care professionals who are aware of what is out there and what may be best. UW-L Dining Services has a registered dietician as well to help students try to find the best ways to get their daily needs in with the food offered around campus.