90s nostalgia at the SMA Karaoke/Lip sync battle

Sarah Brusse, Staff Reporter

On Thursday night at 7:30pm Nov. 5, Valhalla was a happening place with flashbacks to the 90s everywhere and a crowd ready to see the talent the sponsoring organization, the Sports Management Association, had lined up.

The first act was kicked off by a karaoke duet to Salt N Peppa’s “None of your Business” by Jenny Gallagher and Mary Gaspers. The two girls were decked out in the epitome of 90s urban fashion eager to show off what they got. When the girls were asked after the show what made them want to participate, they said their main goal was to come out and have fun and that they had succeeded.

Next up was a solo lip sync act to Queen’s “Don’t Stop Me Now” performed by Aamer Mian, channeling Freddie Mercury in his bright leather yellow jacket and white pants. Then up was the steamy karaoke performance to “You’re the One That I Want” from Grease between Maria Cress and SMA advisor Kevin King. The pair definitely did justice to Sandy and Danny with their playful back-and-forth, and the crowd just ate it up.

Following was Ryan Ettner lip syncing to “Big Poppa” by Biggie Smalls while rocking his psychedelic cat t-shirt. Next came the wildly original duet Rammstein’s “Engel” with Jan von der Brelie and Tyler Erding juxtaposing a stoic angel and a head-banging nightwalker. There were some minor technical difficulties, but the two carried on like troopers. Ricardo Lee took the stage next with help of two audience members and rocked his solo karaoke rendition of “Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked” by Cage the Elephant.

After which the Backstreet Boys were brought back by Johnny Ormberg and others, recreating one of the band’s biggest hits, “Everybody,” decked out in all white and with synchronized dance movements of course. The finale performance of the first act of the show was performed by Bobby Black lip syncing “Love” by Robin S. channeling all that is fierce and fabulous in 5 inch heels, no less.

For the finale act of the show came the highly anticipated lip sync battle between theater professor Joe Anderson and football coach Reed Hoskins. Anderson went first with “Hook” by Blues Traveler whipping out words at lightning speed. Then Hoskins preformed “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen with aid from some of the football players. The performance was dynamic as the song and even included some hairography and light swaying.

To wrap up the show, the winners were announced: Bobby Black for Solo, Jenny Gallagher and Mary Gaspers for the duet, and Johnny Ormberg and company for group. As for the staff battle, Reed Hoskins was crowned this year’s champion. Overall, the event was a rocking good time and definitely worth checking out next year.