Why is La Crosse so physically active?

Megan Poczos, Staff Reporter

Generally, college students have a more difficult time trying to remain active and healthy while at school. This may have to do with many things: The amount of pizza the average student intakes, the fact that the gym/recreational center is usually not attached to the dorms, along with lots of other reasons. However, it seems that UW-La Crosse beats this stereotype. It is the consensus here that most students like to remain active in one way or another. But why is this the case for this particular university?

My thinking is that because this school is so focused on Physical Therapy programs and Athletic Training careers, many of the students find it not only beneficial to their overall health to exercise, but to their education as well.

Vice President of Student Association Molly Davies had this to say about the matter.  Davies explains, “I think that the combination of the beautiful outdoor areas we have the opportunity to take advantage of and the main focus of a lot of students on campus being science/physicality orientated creates a great environment for students to be able to keep up their activity throughout their college careers.”

Davies has a good point. We do have some amazing landscapes and environments we get to use to our advantage. We can go jogging in Myrick Park, or swimming in Mitchell, or weight lifting at the Rec. There are so many possibilities for us to use here at UW-L, as well as countless professionals and experts who are willing and excited to help us students remain as active as possible.

“I think with having the biggest college on our campus be the College of Science and Health, we have not only the majority of students being involved in a program that that college offers, but also many professors and staff members who are involved in that college as well,” Davies stated. “We are lucky to have so many experienced and involved staff members here at La Crosse who promote good, healthy habits.”

Because UW-L has such a highly active campus, plans are being made to expand the Rec and erect a new field house. These additions will offer even more opportunities for students to be active and build healthy lifestyles.

So next time you are contemplating whether to exercise or binge watch some Netflix, remember that we students here at UW-L have so many wonderful opportunities to be active. Take advantage of them!