Simple money saving solutions

How to penny pinch in college

Alexandra Ronnestrand, Staff Reporter

College can be a big budget buster for most students.  There are loans to take out, food to buy and those extras that every college student needs.  Going from limited financial responsibilities to almost fully or on your way to is an adjustment for anyone.  If there is any advice to give, it is simple ways to save a dollar here and there.  Listed below are money saving techniques everyone should have in their bank.  

One of the easiest ways to save money is to create a money plan.  Budget in rent and electricity, create a stipends for food and have money for unplanned expenses.  Besides setting aside amounts to spend, account for money to save.  Each month, set a goal of how much you want to save.  By having a set plan, it will be easier to limit excessive spending.  

After creating a plan, there are ways upon ways of earning an extra buck.  Many sites such as Zaarly and TaskRabbit are available for people reaching out to others for a helping hand.  A range of jobs from manual work to simple errands are simple and efficient ways to earn fast cash.  Other jobs though like sitting (i.e. house-sitting, babysitting and pet-sitting), mowing lawns or even selling your unused items are great for establishing money making jobs on the side.  

Of course, jobs are the best ways of earning money, but once had, it can be even easier to spend.  Learning to safely spend is a skill that needs to be practiced like any other.  When shopping, check out the sales first whether shopping for clothes or food.  Grocery stores are always have discounts on food but you have to keep your eye on them.  Remember when your grandma or even your parents were clipping coupons and told you to always use them!  Well, they were right.  Coupons can save you a load over time.  Don’t be afraid to ask for them at the counters of the stores.  

There are plenty of other ways to save on food.  Many college students get trapped in the state of fast food runs because their money is fleeing fast.  But with watching for sales and coupons, it is easier to grab more filling foods.  Stack up on staple items that are easy to make into multiple dishes.  Look for versatile foods like peanut butter, bread, and fruits that can be made into breakfast or dinner foods.  It is more fiscal to make a week’s dinner of rice and chicken than grab a burger at McDonalds and a lot tastier!

The most important thing to remember when saving money is just that; save money!  By invoking these easy methods, saving money will become much easier.  In the near future, make a financial plan, look the sales and deals and spend smart.  Save a penny, one day it could become a fortune.  

More financial tips can be found at moneytalksnews.com