Frozen treats to enjoy in the sunshine

Miranda Martin, Staff Reporter

Spring is here, and warm weather is approaching quickly.  Luckily, there are many great places to go near La Crosse to get an ice cream.  Here are five ideas on where to go if Whitney soft serve just isn’t good enough anymore:

1. The first suggestion is The Pearl, a classic ice cream shop that most have been to after completing at least one semester at UW-La Crosse. If you have never been there, head downtown to Pearl Street and try it! If you have already been there, make sure to make a special trip and try a new flavor.  From campus, The Pearl is a short bike ride or leisurely walk away, but if that sounds like a lot of work, you’re in luck! Greengrass Cafe, located across from Cartwright, now serves The Pearl ice cream. You could even get a scoop on top of a waffle or pancakes!
  2. The next place to look for delicious, homemade ice cream is Ranison’s Ice Cream & Candy. They are located at 706 South 16th Street in La Crosse, and have 52 great flavors to choose from.  If you have never been, they recommend New York French Vanilla since it is their most popular flavor.  If you are more adventurous, don’t worry! They also have some more experimental flavors, such as coconut, blueberry cheesecake, or grape nut, states Ranison’s website. The best part about this shop is it works even for those of us on a budget! One scoop is just $1.52, that’s a deal you won’t find other places.
  3. Rudy’s is a fun stop for anyone in La Crosse, as it is a drive-in! Grab some friends and a vehicle and prepare to be blasted into the past as you get served by waiters and waitresses on rollerblades. Rudy’s is a classic place where you can not only get ice cream, but also Dole Whips, shakes and smoothies-all the frozen treats you could want to enjoy in the springtime!
  4. An unexpected place to buy ice cream is Great River Popcorn. Although they mainly advertise their delicious popcorn, you can also buy ice cream there.  Like The Pearl, it is conveniently located downtown, and is a popular destination for those who want to grab a snack and walk by the river.
  5. If you want to get out of La Crosse, head to Onalaska in search of Coldstone or Dairy Queen.  These places are also good options if you have either of these places near your hometown and are missing the sweet treats you are used to!

Wherever you go for a frozen treat when the weather gets nice, be sure to go with friends and eat outside.  With good company, sugar, and nice weather, one can’t help but feel cheerful and smile! To make your springtime as sweet as possible, try checking off every place on this list!