Lunch ideas for your everyday brown bag

Sarah Busse, Staff Reporter

Figuring out when and what to have for lunch can be trying. Sometimes you just do not want to eat on-campus: not feeling the lines, not enough time, trying to save some money and so on. So this lead to you packing a lunch which can be tricky to figure out what to make that will be satisfying and will not become soggy or unappetizing before it is time to eat it. First, hint to packing a lunch is to invest in a good lunch box to keep your food chill that needs to be. Secondly, be aware of where you are eating (i.e. do not pack soup or something else that needs to be warmed up if you do not have access to a microwave). Third, do not pack something overly messy it always seems to have a way of becoming more a nuance than it is worth.

1. Humus with Veggies and Pita Bread – It is healthy, easy to make and can stay good for hours if stored properly.
  2. Pack a Salad – Again it can be healthy as it is not loaded up on dressing, crotons and the likes. It is supper easy to make just throw everything to one Tupperware except the dressing, meat or anything else that will make it soggy. Put those in a spate container until ready to eat. Salads are great because there lots of different options, and they are easy to modify to your exact tastes and budget. Some only need four or five ingredients or less to be good. For example, just throw some spinach, strawberries, avocado, walnut pieces and some balsamic or honey for dressing and enjoy (chicken could also be added if wanted as well)
  3. Pack some Pasta – (obviously not pasta that is better warm, unless you have access to a microwave) Spaghetti cold may not be enjoyable, but there other pastas that are good chilled. One is Pesto pasta. It seems fancy but is very easy to make. First, make some pasta of your choosing, heat up some pesto, pour that over noodles along with some shredded parmesan or mozzarella, tomatoes, (lightly roasted pine nuts if you are feeling supper fancy) and some piece chicken. Chill overnight and it will be ready to take with you in the morning.
  4.  Pack a Sandwich – They are a pack lunch classic for a reason. Easy to eat on the go and can be as complex or as simple as you want to make it. Just keep in mind if it is going to be sitting for a while depending what is no it the bread can be come soggy so plan ahead by maybe waiting to add things like mayo until you ready to eat.

Packing lunch can be tricky but it easy way to make sure that you will have something you will enjoy for lunch with a little effort. It is also easier to a healthier lunch since it requires some planning ahead which can stop you from making on health food choices in the moment.