Men’s track and field captures ‘Esten Challenge’, women take second

Alex VandenHouten, Staff Reporter

The UW-La Crosse Men’s Track and Field team captured the 16th annual Phil Esten Challenge for the 16th time on Friday at the Veterans Memorial Field Sports Complex. The Eagles finished with 196 points to win the team title over 19 other schools. UWL is ranked first on this week’s U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association National Team Computer Rankings.

The challenge is named after former UWL cross country head coach Phil Esten who coached at UWL for 28 years (1970-1997). He led the Eagles to a Division III national championship in 1996, his teams also finished runner-up eight different times during his tenure. All of Esten’s teams finished in the top 10 in 26 consecutive tries and appeared in a national championship in 27 of his 28 seasons. UWL won 20 WIAC titles under Easten and he was named the WIAC Men’s Cross Country All-Time Coach.

He also served as an assistant track and field coach at UWL for 34 seasons. He is a member of the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

UWL won five individual and two relay titles on Friday.  Senior Luke Sauerman won the 110-meter hurdles (14.73) while sophomore Ernest Winters won the 200-meter dash (21.51) and sophomore Peter Morris won the 5,000-meter run (15:43.66). The Eagles put on a strong show in the relays by sweeping the 4X100 and 4X400-meter. Freshman Ryan Send, Winters, junior Zach Rothering and junior Joe Koencke won the the 4X100 with a time of 41.26 while juniors Zak Wallenfang, Sam Smith, Joe Smith and senior Cyrus Mason took home the 4X400-meter relay crown (3:15.35).

The Eagles also won two field events on Friday as sophomore Brendan Deiss captured the high jump (6-5 ½) and freshman Jerod Besl won the long jump (21-10 ¼).

The women’s team placed second with a score of 174.50 on Friday, Winona State took first with a score of 184.50 while UW-Stout placed third 98.50.. On the women’s side, it was the 11th annual Phil Esten invite, UWL has won eight team titles out of the eleven years, this is the second time they have finished runner-up. After finishing second the Eagles are still ranked first in the country by the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association National Team Computer Rankings.

The lady Eagles won five individual and one relay title. Senior Meg Heafy won the 200-meter dash (24.85) while junior Mallory Hall took home the 400-meter hurdles crown (1:02.55). Seniors Claire Gordee, Bria Halama, freshman Jenna Goulet and junior Rachel Atchison won the 4X400-meter relay (3:51.04).

UWL won three field events, Bria Halama in addition to being part of the winning 4X400 relay team also won the triple jump (39-8 ½). Sophomore Marissa Wustrack won the long jump (18-3 ¾) while senior Meaghan Howell captured pole vault (11-5 ¾).

UWL returns to action on April 28 at the Drake relays.