UWL Ranked Fourth After Wartburg Victory

Skyller Smith-Davis

UWL Senior Hayley Stephens (7) assists Junior Cassie Handrick (17) in defending against Wartburg

Skyller Smith-Davis, Sports Reporter

Wednesday September 21, 2017 marked the first game under the lights for the University of La Crosse Women’s Soccer team on their new field located at Veterans Memorial Field Sports Complex.

“Getting the lights operational for Wednesday was great. I think the players look forward to playing under the lights,” said Head Women’s Soccer Coach Jason Murphy. “The mood was different but more because of the opponent. Our players love to get up for big games and beating Warburg is a big result.”

UWL Women’s Soccer Eagles defeated Wartburg College Knights 2-0 to improve to 5-0-2 on the season, and handing Wartburg their second loss of the season dropping to 5-2. This impressive win was also their third consecutive win.

With a steady rainfall before game time, players spent the first ten minutes slipping and sliding all over the pitch.

Shortly after the 10th minute of play, the Eagles began their offensive push and never looked back. Scoring off the foot of UWL Senior Maddie Granos and assisted by UWL Junior Mary Mansker, UWL took the lead at the 32nd minute.

UWL outshot the Knights 16-8 with six of those on goal compared to Wartburg’s two.

The Eagles put the pressure on right away after halftime, scoring again in the 47th minute of the contest. It was on a give and go between Granos and Freshman Kaityln Villars, with the goal going to Villars and the assist to Granos.

The Wartburg Knights never pressured freshman goalkeeper Lily Brock who was making her first career start in goal for UWL.

On Brock’s play Murphy said, “Lily did great. It is great to get her first start behind her and a big time win too! She was not perfect but she really controlled the match with the ball at her feet and with her distribution.”

The Knights only shot the ball 10 times and only mustarded two shots on goal, with only a total of two shots the second half. Neither of those being on goal.

Finishing the game with 29 shots and 11 on goal to go along with 14 corner kicks, the Eagles kept the pressure on the Knights defense all night.

“I thought our players played our way and were able to control the match with the ball. We were dangerous all night and really limited their chances,” said Murphy.

Remaining undefeated on the year, this is the Eagles best start since winning their first seven game in 1999, according to uwlathletics.com.

With this streak, the Women’s Soccer team received votes on the United Soccer Coachers Top-25 Poll, currently ranked fourth in the United Soccer Coaches NCAA Division III North Division. Jumping two spots since last week.

Murphy said, “Polls are great, as it gives people something to talk about, but in reality, we are just working every day to be better than the last. If we do that every day, we will put ourselves in a spot to be ranked at the end of the season, where it counts.”

The Eagles next game is at Illinois Wesleyan University on September 23 at 1p.m. Their next home game is scheduled for September 30 versus the University of Stevens Point Pointers to open WIAC conference play for the year.