Celebrating philanthropy through Philanthropy Week 2018

April Wolford, Student Government Reporter

Monday, April 2 through Friday, April 6, UWL’s Student Philanthropy Council will be celebrating Philanthropy Week 2018.

Student Philanthropy Council is an organization led by UWL students which encourages the advocacy for philanthropy work. They also aim to create awareness for the ways in which philanthropy occurs at UWL and how it benefits campus.

Philanthropy Week will begin on Monday with a selfie contest. Students can learn more about this at SPC’s booth in the Union from 9 to 11:30 am.

Beginning Monday, students can also look for sidewalk chalk around campus; each place which has been marked with chalk signifies an area of campus that was either benefitted or made possible by donors – alumni or otherwise.

Some areas to look out for include Cowley Hall, the Child Care Center, Hoeschler Tower, and the Center for the Arts.

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday will all have varying activities at a table in the Union from noon to 2 pm. Treats will be offered at the Union booth each of those three days. In addition to the Union booth, SPC will have a booth set up by the Clocktower on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 9 am to 1 pm.

Students will have the opportunity to sign a thank you card for the UWL faculty and staff who donate to the University on Tuesday. Wednesday, the table will be talking about the Alumni Association as well as UWL’s alumni and the ways that their contributions aid the University.

The Union booth activities will come to a close on Thursday as students will have the opportunity to share their reasons behind their own philanthropy.

Friday will end the festivities with the announcement of the Residence Hall Penny War winner. Whichever resident hall with the most amount of pennies will have the opportunity to donate the total amount to a campus destination of their choosing – OMSS, Resident Life, Angel Fund, the food pantry, or the Counseling and Testing Center.

The winner will be announced at 9 am in the Union.