REC 2.0’s Grand Opening

The layout of REC 2.0. Credit: https://news.uwlax.edu/rec-addition-moves-forward/

Melissa Petroff, Sports Reporter

The wait is finally over – “REC 2.0” is here at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. The addition to the original Recreational Eagle Center is something that has been long antcipated for the active campus that UWL is. The vote for the addition occurred in 2014 before many UWL students even stepped on campus.  

This new addition adds 32,500 square feet to the current size of the REC. A main reason for this decision to have the addition was to allocate for the number of students that use the facility. The REC can be crowded when it is in its peak hours, but now students have that extra room to let off some steam. 

The new addition is located on the southwest corner of the REC and flows off the end of one of the courts. UWL Senior Allie Walters discussed this point, “I’m excited how it’s going to feel more part of the REC; before when the room was in a different entrance it was weird to have to exit and then re-enter if I wanted to lift”.  

All the equipment in the addition is either a year old or brand new. The cardio area offers 55 machines. Nick Berg, the fitness coordinator at the REC, explained how this area faces Badger Street, which lets in sunlight and gives a nice view for people using the space. Berg is also an alumnus of UWL and worked at the REC for two years in his undergraduate years. He expressed his excitement in coming back to work for his alma mater.  

For weight lifting, there is more rack space, which includes an Olympic weight lifting designated area; this has the potential to host competitions. With the racks and how they are spaced, there are enough gaps in between where people can stand without feeling like they are on top of each other. This is something that many students were concerned about in the old strength center.  

Walters voiced her excitement for the larger and more spread out area. She said this will make it more inviting for female students to come for a work out. Walters added, “Sometimes for girls I know it was intimidating to lift in the weight room just because everything was so close together, so you always felt someone was watching over you. With a bigger room and more space, it will be nice for everyone to be able to get through a workout and also feel comfortable and confident at the same time”.  

UWL Senior Jacob Ausman had a similar viewpoint regarding the welcoming feel, “It’s really really cool, I like expanded space. You can walk in and figure out what you want to do. The whole place is really open and makes it less intimidating”. 

A brand-new feature in the addition is artificial turf. This area will mainly be used for dynamic warm ups, agility training, and weighted sled workouts. There is also a rack on the turf with TRX (Total Body Resistance Exercise) bands as well as hurdles. Ausman commented about this feature, “I really like the variety of equipment, especially the turf for the sleds, it’s something different”. The turf is also an area where LaXFit classes will be administered. These classes can be taken with 3-5 people in a metabolic circuit style, like CrossFit classes, but for a third of the price. For the first three weeks of the REC’s addition, these classes will be offered for free. 

Another room on the main level addition is a personal training room. This is a space for 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 training if you want to do it with a friend – a great way to get in a solid workout with a professional. The rates for these sessions are online right now. 

In the new upper level of REC 2.0, there is more court space where club and intramural sports can take advantage of. The shatterproof glass is able to accommodate a club sport like lacrosse to be played inside.  

What is going to happen to the old strength center you might ask? This area will be the new site for Outdoor Connection here on campus. The plan is make the space have a similar atmosphere to REI, the outdoor RECreational company. Offices and meeting space is planned to go into the old Outdoor Connection area.  

REC 2.0 will have its grand opening week Monday, Oct.1 thru Friday Oct. 5. The ribbon cutting ceremony takes place on Monday at 4 p.m. The whole week will offer the free LaXFit classes and live demos. The activities will commence every day of the grand opening week, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Check out the REC’s website at https://www.uwlax.edu/RECsports/ for more information.