UWL says goodbye to D2L, hello to Canvas

Chantal Zimmermann, Staff Reporter

In the fall of 2019, D2L will completely be phased out and replaced with the new learning management system Canvas.

“This will bring a whole new set of rules. It is a new game. It’s basically going from checkers to chess. I say this because I really like Canvas. D2L is a decent program. Canvas is just easier to use and is a lot more integrated,” said Canvas Migration Specialist Jared Oxborrow.

Oxborrow has been working with faculty in making the transition from D2L to Canvas. During the next year, professors will have the choice to change over to Canvas or stay with D2L. However, they will have to become familiar with the Canvas programming for the fall of 2019, when D2L will no longer be an option.

Oxborrow mentioned, “As teachers start using this, they will be able to create a better integrative environment, between online and the classroom. As they see these tools are easier to use, they can create an integrated classroom that creates more tools and uses more options.

“I think the professors are having fun with it. Everyone I have talked to seems to be excited about it. I used Canvas as a student. In my experience, Canvas is really easy to use and easy to pick up. It provides a lot of possibilities and is open sourced, so it allows for integration with other programs.”

Along with the change from D2L to Canvas, Akindi will be replacing the Scantron grading system.

“This was a huge project between the entire UW system. This process is going on throughout all of the campuses,” shared Oxborrow.

“I like how you can see your final grade on Canvas at any point throughout the semester. It really helps to see where you are in a class,” said junior Payton Kellam. “I like how you can get notifications to your phone and that there is an app for it, which you can check at any time.”

However, not everything about Canvas is positive. Kellam commented, “I don’t like how it’s not like D2L, where you have a tab for all notifications. That pop up is nice to have.

“I dislike how we have both at the same time right now, because I forget I only have one class on D2L and miss some important quizzes.”

Oxborrow said, “There are contracts that go on in the background with licenses to the programs. The license with D2L was running out and the UW system was deciding what they were going to do. Are we going to stay with D2L or are we going to a different one? They eventually decided on Canvas.”

Kellam concluded, “Overall, I think I like Canvas better than D2L.”