Eagles For The Kids raises over $18,000 in Dance Marathon

Chantal Zimmermann, Features Reporter

On Nov. 30 from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse hosted the Eaglethon Dance Marathon to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network in the Bluffs Ballroom in the UWL Student Union. 

Eagles For The Kids is the organization that sponsored this event with the help of college students who dedicated several hours of their time for the benefit of Children’s Miracle Network, which is a non-profit organization that raises funds and awareness for sick and injured children. The Eaglethon Dance Marathon raised money specifically for the Gunderson Health System which, according to the Children’s Miracle Network website has over ten million children enter its hospitals every year. 

“We continue to fundraise and push morale as high as we can. Then, we celebrate the work we have done, and the money we have raised. Overall, our goal is to fundraise and support our local Children’s Miracle Network at Gunderson Health System,” stated Internal Vice President and UWL senior Margaret Finco.  

During the event, the Dance Marathon had music provided by local student DJ’s, raffle prizes, games, crafts, bag toss, food, and lots of dancing. The La Crosse Central Dance Team also performed during the event. Finco said, “We also had our Hero families join us and tell their stories throughout the night.” Hero families  

This year the Dance Marathon had 166 participants register. Students from UWL, Viterbo, and Western Technical College, along with community members donated their time to help raise proceeds.  

They had a total of 19 teams participate and had support from other UWL student organizations including Radiation Therapy Club, Gamma Sigma Sigma, UWL Aspiring Educators, Alpha Xi Delta, UWL Eta Sigma Gamma, UWL Kappa Delta Pi, Advocates for the Children, and LC Hip Hop.  

“Radiation Therapy Club ended up being the team to raise the most money, but we truly appreciate the support of all the student organizations,” said Finco. In total, the Dance Marathon was able to raise $18,250.24 with donations still coming in.  

The Dance Marathon wants to gain more money to help support the cause. “Each year we hope to involve more students and community members. With the growth of the event each year, and raising more and more money, it just gives Gunderson Health Systems Children’s Miracle Network the ability to help more and more families,” concluded Finco. 

Donations will be accepted until December 15 at 12 a.m. To donate to the Eaglethon Dance Marathon, click here.