UWL’s Alpha Phi sorority hosts Mr. Heartthrob pageant

Julia+Balli+

Julia Balli

Julia Balli, General Assignment Reporter

The annual Mr. Heartthrob pageant was held on Feb. 21 by University of Wisconsin – La Crosse’s Alpha Phi Sorority 

According to the Alpha Phi Foundation website “Mr. Heartthrob is a male pageant show that is aimed to raise awareness and funds towards Women’s Heart Health. There are 12 male contestants. After the opening act, there are three rounds that include a fitness/health round, a talent round, and final a question. The questions are all related to Heart Health. All the contestants are involved in either Greek Life or involved in another organization on campus.” 

The event has been held at UWL for the past seven years and has grown in popularity among the sororities and community. Mr. Heartthrob contestant Bo Orton said, “I was actually volunteered by my classmates in the Clinical Exercise Physiology graduate program. After learning more about what I was going to be doing for the pageant, and what the money raised was being used for, I was all in. It ended up being a blast, and the event was able to raise money for a great cause.”  

Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in America. About 610,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year–that’s 1 in every 4 deaths, according to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention. 

UWL Alpha Phi Delta Kappa Chapter President Milena Rajkvoic said, “With the men representing their organizations, we have a great sense of campus community at these events as everyone comes out to support their fellow organization members and friends as well as raising money for the cause. We have also created a wonderful bond with LEHP (La Crosse Exercise and Health Program), and we see many of their participants from La Crosse coming out for the event. Year after year, men and community members alike cannot wait to participate in this event and see who is crowned the next Mr. Heartthrob.” 

Each yearly event raises around 2,000 dollars that is dedicated to research for heart disease and heart health. “Our sorority hosts this event to raise money for our philanthropy, women’s heart health. All proceeds from ticket sales and the raffle go to the Alpha Phi Foundation and LEHP,” said Rajkovic 

Mr. Congeniality was won by Mr. Student Association Lucas Marinack. Mr. Ballroom and Swing Dance Austin Klum came in as first runner-up. Mr. LEHP Bo Orten won and is now the 2019 Mr. Heartthrob. 

“The Mr. Heartthrob title became quite the talking point among many of the LEHP participants and faculty. Most of the participants come to LEHP because they have had some sort of cardiac event or have a cardiopulmonary condition, so they have an appreciation for the fundraising that the Mr. Heartthrob event is responsible for. Many of them are also social butterflies, so I hope the event draws even more people next year,” said Orten.