Hamline beats UW-L soccer team, but hope lingers for future matches

Dustin Skolaski, Staff Reporter

A chilly Wednesday evening saw the UW-La Crosse women’s soccer team drop an out -of-conference match to Hamline University. UW-L has been playing a series of matches against various opponents, both in state and out of state, in order to prepare for the upcoming WIAC conference season. Entering the match with one victory on the season and coming off of back-to-back scoreless ties, UW-L was looking to break it’s scoreless drought and keep their stellar defensive play up. Hamline however entered the match spotting an impressive 3-0 record, which would provide a nice test early on for UW-L. The two teams have had no previous meetings.
The action was frenetic at first with both teams off and running strong, but it was Hamline who struck first with a twelfth minute goal by Mayla Hirshkowitz scoring it with no credited assist. A quick blow surely dealt a hit to the confidence of UW-L as Hamline was quick to respond with another shot in the net by Aileen Scheibner. Refusing to fall too far behind, UW-L picked up the pace and fought back against Hamline. UW-L was able to allow no more goals in the first half, yet still couldn’t bury one in and went to halftime with the score being 0-2.
Both teams took to action once energized with UW-L looking to climb themselves out of a two goal deficit in which they faced. Despite their scoring chances, and UW-L did have many, with thirteen shots in the match including ten that were on goal, Hamline kept the door closed and added a quick insurance goal in the second half that came off of the foot of Anna Futterer.
Senior Ashley Tracy was able to contain six saves throughout the evening before she was pulled from the game with twelve minutes left in order to gain some experience for Sophomore Taylor Tomczyk who was able to keep Hamline out of the net the duration of the game.
Junior Midfielder Megan Gresl led the way in terms of UW-L’s shot takers as she notched three shots that landed on goal.
Jason Murphy, UW-L’s new head soccer coach, had this to say about his new position, “There have been a lot of changes with me coming to UW-L, and I expected it would take some adjustment on the part of the players. I have been amazed how each individual has embraced the challenge to accepting the changes.”
UW-L has since defeated Bethel University by a score of 1-0 and has one more out of conference match to go before they begin the WIAC season and coach Murphy believes the progress that his team is making and the challenging schedule they have faced so far will prepare the team to go up against River Falls, Sept. 20.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email