Essential personnel only allowed on campus

Abby Deyo and Allen Hill

We are now aware of two confirmed cases of COVID-19 in La Crosse County, though none on campus. This triggers the activation of the COVID- 19 Pandemic Response Plan at a level 2 and the need to move campus to “essential personnel only.”

Starting 5 p.m. Thursday, March 19, the university will shift to requiring only essential personnel to report to campus. Essential personnel are determined by the vice chancellors and deans.

In this context, essential personnel are the key individuals who are required to report to campus in-person in situations requiring extreme caution. These colleagues provide services that relate directly to health and safety, continuity of key operations, and maintenance and protection of university property. If you need clarification about this definition, please work directly with your supervisor, dean or vice chancellor.

We also have some essential services that fit outside of this definition. Many of you have already made the transition to telecommuting. We are now requiring all employees to work from home, unless their presence on campus is required (as defined above). If you are still making the transition to telecommuting, we have established a deadline of 5 p.m. Thursday, March 19. If you require improved internet or cell access for telecommuting, please work with your dean or vice chancellor.

At 5 p.m. Thursday, all building access will be suspended for all employees except those identified as essential. Should you need access, you will be asked to work with your dean or vice chancellor.

This measure is being taken to drastically curtail any in-person activity related to the university. We recognize the many challenges this may pose, and we acknowledge the range of emotions this news may conjure. We thank you for doing your part to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the La Crosse region.