Eagle Eye Medallion Hunt comes to a close

Alexander Johnson, Staff Reporter

Mysteries and the thirst for their answers drive the human mind. When posed with a question, the mind immediately wants an answer; the search for logic or specific reasons fueling us into finding the truth. This past week on the UW-La Crosse campus has brought a mystery that many have been trying to solve: the Eagle Eye Medallion Hunt, sponsored by the University Communications Office.

The Medallion Hunt, a unique campus wide event, entailed the elusive search for a UW-L themed medallion hidden somewhere around the campus.

Brad Quarberg, the News and Marketing Specialist for the university, who also facilitates the program said, “The hunt is a perfect event for blending history with contemporary events, which also involves all age groups.”

Events that can bring a community together in search of a common goal are celebrated year after year as students and faculty come together to honor the history of UW-L.

To aid in the recovery of the medallion, the Communications Office released one clue a day for a week to help narrow down the location of the coveted winning token. Both the location and clues provided all stem from the history of UW-L, which included notable alumni, building history or historic event that occurred on campus.

Fascinated by the history of the university, Quarberg feels student connection with previous years is highly important.

“The hunt creates more awareness about the university’s history and tradition. It’s important for students to feel that connection to those who have been the students of the past,” he said.

By allowing students to engage in their school’s history in an interactive, stimulating way, the students of UW-L can feel a stronger sense of community and belonging to a family of students and faculty.

Of course, the enigmatic hunt does come with a reward for those sleuths who truly dedicated themselves to learning about campus history. The Alumni Association offered a lifetime membership, in addition to an anonymous donor who donated a gift card to the campus bookstore. Yet, the search for the medallion presented a challenge, as the medallion was hidden in the most historically rich, yet highly veiled locations.

Two days into looking for the medallion, junior Bridgette Klinkosh recognized,  “The Eagle Eye Medallion Hunt offers a challenging and constructive distraction for students in the midst of midterms. It also allows the residence halls to weave themselves together in search of a common goal.”

Many students have taken to searching campus for the medallion this past week, searching under bushes, trees and rocks. Whether teams of students or single detectives piecing together the clues, students have enjoyed their search.

Klinkosh noted how much beauty the campus has to offer, which she sometimes misses on the way to class.  A college targeted toward people who enjoy nature, rich history and a solid community atmosphere, UW-L manages to bring people together and strengthen relationships.

Although the mystery of this year’s medallion has been recovered this past week, Quarberg hoped the tradition that has been going strong since 2012 can continue on for many more years to come.