Area colleges make a difference in community through annual event

Morgan Post, Staff Reporter

Make a Difference Day occurred on Oct. 25 and is all about offering service throughout the community. Make a Difference Day in La Crosse combined Western Technical College, Viterbo College and UW-La Crosse together to give back to the community through volunteering.

“Make a Difference Day started a couple years ago. All three schools decided to join together and become one to help the community surrounding La Crosse. The first year the Involvement Center wanted at least 80 people to volunteer. We reached about 240,” said Kaila Stencil from the Involvement Center.

Make a Difference Day has grown every year since its inception. This year they had approximately 170 participants give back and make a difference in people’s lives. Many people volunteered as groups such as clubs and families.

UW-L freshman Brooklyn Massey said, “Make a Difference Day is all about giving back to the community, and it was wonderful seeing all three universities come together and collaborate as one. I enjoyed volunteering because I love to volunteer and make a difference. My Communications Club volunteered as a group, and I wanted to volunteer too.”

Many of the activities that go on during Make a Difference Day are planting, helping the Salvation Army, enchanted forest, raking leaves, handing out candy and much more. One of the activities was also helping the Warming Center. The Warming Center is located on South 3rd Street. This establishment is for homeless men and women who need a warm bed and some food. The volunteers helped move and organize food, put kitchen utensils away, stack chairs, fold towels, and get things ready to open on Nov. 1.

“Make a Difference Day is a great experience and everyone should want to give back to the community in different ways. I enjoyed volunteering because I got to meet new people and enjoy helping others. The reason I volunteered was because I love volunteering, and my Communications Club volunteered as a group,” stated Mackenzie Van Rooy, a freshman at UW-L.

The most important aspect about Make a Difference day is that so many people wanted to volunteer their time to help give back to the La Crosse Community. Make a Difference Day had too many sponsors to make this day happen.