Letter to the Editor: Great Rivers United Way offers internship opportunities to La Crosse’s student population

Photo+retrieved+from+https%3A%2F%2Fwww.greatriversunitedway.org%2F.+

Photo retrieved from https://www.greatriversunitedway.org/.

Julie Nelson, Guest Contributer

Great Rivers United Way is inviting University of Wisconsin-La Crosse students to use their skills and enthusiasm to help improve our community through Student United.

Student United is a social and advocacy group open to students from UWL, Viterbo University, and Western Technical College who are interested in making a contribution to the community. Activities are a combination of social, hands-on help, fundraising, learning, and networking. Student United is an opportunity to gain experience in leadership and partnership, skills that look good on graduate school applications and resumes.

Great Rivers United Way is also looking for a student to fill an open seat on its Board of Directors. As a Board Member, this student will be involved in the governance of Great Rivers United Way and contribute to the development of policies that determine the way the organization operates.

The student voice offers insights into the concerns of a campus population and offers a nontraditional perspective. The board is currently working on policies that promote equity and inclusion, and a student perspective will be highly valuable in these discussions. This a real-world experience in leadership and a great resume-builder.

With a mission to unite people and resources to improve lives and strengthen communities, Great Rivers United Way has two main roles in the community: 1) funding the non-profits that are working together to address social issues such as homelessness, hunger, and inequality; and 2) engaging the community in discussions and educational events that create understanding.

Examples of community engagement include the recent Project Vote Safe, a bi-partisan discussion voting rights and safety, a poverty simulation, where participants experience the daily challenges low-income people face via an eye-opening role-playing activity, and a community discussion on the crisis in childcare, including wage equality.

Anyone who is interested in taking part in Student United or applying for the Board of Directors should contact Julie Nelson at [email protected].

Letters to the Editor do not reflect the beliefs or values of The Racquet Press.