News Release: UWL will reopen surge testing site on Feb. 1 after receiving additional test kits

The interior of the Cartwright Center testing site.

Alexia Walz, Multimedia Editor

On Jan. 22 at 7 a.m., writer Kyle Farris announced that the surge testing site at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Cartwright Center will reopen on Feb. 1. A previous news release from Farris reported that the surge testing site would stop conducting tests on Jan. 22, but more resources have been acquired to continue testing services.

“Another batch of test kits from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and staffing support from eTrueNorth will allow UWL and other System schools to continue Surge Testing for several weeks, through the beginning of April,” said Farris.

The operations of the surge testing site will remain the same when testing resumes in February. Tests will still be self-administered, with test results being provided within 15 minutes. A second, confirmatory PCR test will also be available.

The Cartwright Center testing site will be closed during the week of Jan. 25. Students, faculty and community members may be tested on Saturday, Jan. 23, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. In order to receive a test, all community members must register at this link.

Farris said the testing site has conducted thousands of tests since November. Chancellor Joe Gow said this participation was encouraging to UWL.

“’We were greatly encouraged by the strong participation we saw the past few months, and we hope the La Crosse community continues to take advantage of this wonderful program,’ Gow says. ‘Testing is one of the most valuable tools we have to keep ourselves, our loved ones, and our community safe.’”

For more information on UWL’s COVID-19 response planning, go to https://www.uwlax.edu/info/covid-19/.