Cancer survivor presents on potential effects of chemicals in drinking water

Alex Johnson, Staff Reporter

A glass in the morning, a drink from the water fountain in between classes, a bottle during and after a vigorous workout, humans rely on water to help fuel their bodies and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Yet, this same water that rehydrates and nourishes the human body may also contain harmful chemicals, leading to detrimental conditions such as varying types of cancer.
On Oct. 29 on the UW-La Crosse campus, the UW-L Joint Committee for Environmental Sustainability showed the film “Living Downstream,” detailing the life of cancer survivor Sandra Steingraber.
As the film follows Steingraber, the viewer learns the potentially harmful effects of chemicals in drinking water found from sinks and other household appliances. In addition to exploring the scientific world of these harmful chemicals, the film examines the political climate surrounding situations in which data and people all claim to be affected by toxins in the water.
The largest target of the film becomes a chemical called Atrazine, used as an herbicide all over the world. Steingraber passionately fights the use of the chemical as she believes it caused her bladder cancer.
As Steingraber gave speeches to various groups and organizations across the nation, she noted, “This is about people’s lives, being wrecked or being saved.”
At first glance, “Living Downstream” appears to be just another film advocating for a change in the world. Yet, when examined closely and processed thoroughly, this film aims to inspire people to face challenges and rise again, even from the highest of falls.
The Environmental Sustainability Committee also invited three of UW-L’s own professor’s in related science fields to follow up the film with a question and answer session. Nadia Carmosini from the Chemistry and Biochemistry department, Mike Abler and Tisha King-Heiden, both from the Biology department, all engaged in a thoughtful discussion that answered student questions but also helped generate awareness and further interest into the topic of harmful chemicals such as Atrazine.
When asked by a student about the lack of government and political attention to changing policies related to “Living Downstream,” even with overwhelming amounts of data, King-Heiden stated, “It’s not the data, because that’s there, it has to be the public fighting for a change.”
Despite the work provided by Steingraber, who fights vehemently for change, the public must take an active role in their health and environment. For change to occur, the actions must be taken by those who are willing to go against the masses and declare for a transformation of their surroundings, such examples of people being Steingraber.
This type of change need not start with a politician or an important voice who studied the data their entire life, but with students who attend a university. This change can be started and nourished with people like the UW-L community.