UW-L students pose nude for “Green is Sexy” calendar

Jenae Winter, Staff Reporter

Students for Sustainability has been a club on campus for many years, though it was previously known as the Environmental Council when it was established in 2007. This year, it has a new name and more on the checklist than ever. SFS is in charge of the Farmer’s Market that comes to campus, along with the Health and Wellness Center. They will be running a big event for Earth Week in April, and they bring in speakers quite often. However, during this part of the year in particular, SFS’ main fundraiser is coming after Thanksgiving break; the selling of the “Green is Sexy” calendar. “Wait, what? Naked?” Natalie Newcomer, the Secretary and Calendar Coordinator for SFS said describes most of the responses to the calendar with nude photos portrayed in it. However, after explaining in depth about the calendar and its purpose, to bring awareness to the environment and SFS’ cause, that response usually changes to, “That’s so cool!” The “Green is Sexy” Calendar is how SFS gets most of their funds to use throughout the year. It is possible for them to get grants from the Green Fund, but the money the calendar fundraiser brings in is solely for SFS to spend in order to fulfill their purpose of helping and improving the environment. “It was kind of an underground project in years past because it was not as advertised,” Newcomer mentioned. Because of this, the success rates have not been easily measured. “But this year, we have social media and more advertisements. We sold 150 calendars last year, and we’re printing 200 this year, and we hope to sell those,” she said. Newcomer was a model herself in the calendar last year, and took part this year, as well. There were about 26 UW-L students in all who modeled for the calendar this year, and multiple people appear in every picture. “The photos are not sexualized. It is us in a natural environment, doing a normal thing,” she said of the calendar, also emphasizing that certain body parts are covered. It is categorized as a nude calendar, but it was ensured that the models were comfortable with what was being done during the shoots and how the calendar turned out. The calendar is more about the message rather than the images themselves. As Newcomer said, nudity is a person’s natural state, and SFS is trying to portray humans living with the environment rather than just in it, and keeping the world natural. “There are varying shapes and sizes of people comfortable in their own skin. It’s about loving others and nature. This is how we are, and where we live. We’ve got to take care of it,” Newcomer stated. The calendars this year should be selling for about $10-$12. For more information, Natalie Newcomer can be contacted at her email [email protected]. Otherwise, there is a Facebook page, titled UW-L Students for Sustainability, that provides information as well.