Depression and heart disease: new link affecting young women

Alexis Zuel, Staff Reporter

Depression has been found to be linked to heart disease in young women. Heart disease is already the number one killer of young women.

A study done by CNN suggests that young women are twice as likely to suffer a heart attack or die of heart disease if they suffer from depression. Depression is just as, or even more, powerful of a factor for heart disease as smoking and diabetes.

Depression happens for many different reasons. Having a problem with one’s body or being unhappy with one’s self seems to be a leading cause. One can be going through a rough patch in their life or happenings in one’s life have not seemed to be getting better, which results in depression. One can even become depressed if they believe they have too much on their plate. A college student could become depressed if they are very stressed with school and other events happening in their life.

“When someone becomes depressed though they stop taking care of themselves. And when someone stops taking care of themselves, they get sick,” said Suzanne Steinbaum, a spokesperson for the American Heart Association.

Then again, when people who are sick do not want to care for themselves, they, too, can become depressed. Figuring out if it is the depression or heart disease that comes first is key.

Once someone stops caring is when the depression really hits. When the depression hits the person is already sick, they have no ambition to get better. The number of young women who have died due to depression causing heart disease is more than expected.

The study concluded that women aged 17 to 39 with depression had a significantly higher risk of ischemic heart disease death. Depression is a deadly weapon that should be stopped, and it can be stopped.

Monica Johnson,was diagnosed with depression around a year ago. She was going through some rough patches that seemed to just drag her into a deep depression.

“I had gone through some hard times and just let myself go. I did not care about myself or anything anymore,” Johnson said.

Luckily she has fully recovered from her depression.

Since younger women, like Johnson, are at risk, it is pivotal for them improve their heart health at a young age. Even though it is unclear whether it’s the depression or heart disease that comes first, the best way for young women to improve their heart health is through exercise.

Johnson says exercise has helped her feel better about herself. Even if it is to lose a few pounds or only to just run, it has helped her.

College students are at a perfect age. Young women at UW-Lacrosse can exercise all year long at the REC on campus. In the warmer months, students can then exercise around campus or even one of the trails at parks around campus.

Depression is a scary, but dangerous mental state. Exercise can benefit a young women in many ways. Visit the REC or contact the campus’ Wellness Center for more information on depression and heart disease.