Addressing Endometriosis

Nicole Witt, Staff Reporter

Girls learn about bodily changes pretty quickly once they begin puberty. Along with physical changes, they learn to face both mental and physical challenges, too. Once they begin menstruation, they have to learn how to care for themselves. Sometimes, this just becomes a simple routine, although it may just become annoying or a hassle. Although, some girls find themselves dreading when their time of month comes, because it not only is a hassle, but it brings an extreme, unusually strong pain.
Endometriosis is when uterine tissue is found outside of the uterus. It can be found to cause cuts in the ovaries, fallopian tubes, abdominal lining, bowel or bladder. It is a hormone and immune system disease. The scratches cause inflammation and pain. There are approximately 6.5 million women in the United States and Canada with this diagnosis. Oftentimes, endometriosis is a problem that often goes to be ignored. Cramps are typical to accompany menstruation. Sometimes they can seem over exaggerated, and other times they do cause great pain. But that pain is frequently overlooked, because “it’s just a part of the process.”
Many women may go years without proper diagnosis if they have endometriosis. Oftentimes medical professionals just mark it off as bad cramps, and use birth control or other medications that tend to lessen the severity of periods or cramps. This all will usually begin when they are just girls and teenagers, and may not be diagnosed until they are adults. But by that time, the damage has already been done.
A UW-La Crosse freshman, who preferred to remain anonymous, recounts her painful experience with having endometriosis.“I always knew there was something wrong every time I started my period,” she said. “My period lasted a full seven days and was extremely heavy.”
The student experienced extreme pain as well. “It is extremely painful. [It] was unbearable and I was sent home three times because of the pain. Advil and Midol didn’t help at all.” Eventually, she was diagnosed with endometriosis. Sometimes, it can be hereditary. She says that both her mother and grandmother have it.“The only way you can be sure you have it is for the doctor to go in surgically and take a look around and then remove it,” she said. “The only way you can treat it completely is to have surgery to clear your ovaries. I decided not to have surgery because it costs money.”
The UW-L freshmen takes Depo, a birth control shot that is injected every three months. “Depo helps manage [my endometriosis] fairly well. I don’t have a period, although I still feel cramps sometimes.”
She gives some helpful advice to others who feel like they might have endometriosis, “If someone ever asked me [if they might have endometriosis], I would tell them to see a doctor and explore your options on how to manage and treat [it].”
In some cases, the later the diagnosis the more likely to have severe health problems. In severe cases, ovaries or parts of fallopian tubes might have to be removed and leave a woman to be infertile. Since it is frequently overlooked or misdiagnosed, be sure to have open conversations as soon as possible with a doctor to get a proper diagnosis, treatment options and a better future.