Volleyball team earns split on Saturday

Dustin Skolaski, Staff Reporter

The UW-La Crosse Eagles volleyball team split its matches saturday afternoon as they hosted out of state opponents Augustana College  and Dickinson State University .  UW-L had the pleasure of hosting the whole weekend and looked to end on a high note after Friday’s 2-0.  The first match for UW-L was against Augustana and the first set went UW-L’s way as the Eagle’s took a 25-21 victory over the visiting team from Illinois.  Augustana however would calm down and find their composure and edge UW-L in the last games by margins of 4,8 and 7 which would clinch the first UW-L loss of the invitational.

This UW-L team has been down and fought it’s way back many times this season so it was no surprise to see the team keep their spirits up and take the next match against Dickinson State University 25-22.  Dickinson State University, from North Dakota would then take the next match with a narrow 2 point victory over UW-L.  UW-L would then take the third in thrilling fashion as the win by 2 rule got the game up to 29-27, the highest scoring UW-L game on the season.  Dickinson State University would battle back and take the fourth set and force an overtime game.  UW-L has been no strangers to overtime contests so far so it was of no surprise to see UW-L once again emerge victorious in the 15 point set to take the match.

Sophomore Jessica Jablonski was the lone UW-L player to be named to the all-tournament team consummating the final game.

UW-L would’ve liked to have swept the invitational but can not be upset with a 3-1 showing which leads them to 16-8 on the season.  This UW-L team which has surpassed last season’s win total has just a few more matches left before entering the all important WIAC tournament early November.   Wednesday, October 28 will be the last time to catch  the UW-L team in home action at 7 p.m. in Mitchell Hall.