UWL’s Celebration of Día de los Muertos

Retrieved+by+Marissa+Widdifield+

Retrieved by Marissa Widdifield

Marissa Widdifield, Diversity, Social Justice, and Inclusion Reporter

On Oct. 31, 2018, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse celebrated Día de los Muertos, otherwise known as Day of Dead. The event was hosted by LASO, Latin American Student Association, in the Hall of Nations in Centennial Hall from 10a.m. to 2p.m.

Hispanic music was played, and various tables were set with different activities such as sugar skull painting and bingo. At the front of the room tables were set in memorial for the Hispanic and Latnix who fell victim to Hurricane María and school shootings. 

Edith Osorio, a senior at UWL and the president of LASO, said that Día de los Muertos has been a tradition at UWL for years, “LASO focuses on the Hispanic culture and a lot of the Hispanic culture has to do with traditions. Day of the Dead is a great tradition that many people and cultures around the Central America and South America celebrate. It’s a big celebration of life is what we like to say,” said Osorio. LASO hosted the event so those who celebrate Día de los Muertos can feel a little more at home with their culture at UWL. 

Osorio explained LASO, “We like to basically be a family, be a familia. Our purpose is to have people come and feel like they’re welcomed no matter what background they’re in. We like to make a sense of belonging. We like it to be fun. We like it to be something you enjoy coming to.”  

She mentioned that a UWL student “popped in” because they had time between their classes and that is what LASO wants to happen. They want their events to be a relaxed, welcoming environment and inclusive towards all students.  

LASO has its meetings on Mondays from 7:30p.m. to 8:30p.m., in Centennial 3103, and anyone, regardless of ethnicity, can attend.  

Osorio said “During our meetings we do a lot of social planning…we like to focus a lot about any global issues that are going on, along with specific ones to our country. We like to make it as resourceful as possible for as many students as well.” 

Sugar skulls, which were present at the event, is a symbol that is often appropriated as home décor or as Halloween costumes.  

“A lot of time people like to dress up like with sugar skull face paint and outfits, and in a way it’s not appropriate because we use sugar skulls to represent the kids who passed away. We decorate them in fun colorful faces, so we remember them as brave children who knew nothing but fun.” said Osorio. 

When asked about what white students can do to be more aware of sugar skull appropriation, she said “white students should respect it and be aware of the culture and why it exists.”