UWL Theatre Presents: Enchanted April

Back to Article
Back to Article

UWL Theatre Presents: Enchanted April

Megan Roddy, Guest Reporter

UWL Theatre will whisk you away for a warm holiday in the sunny, Mediterranean world of ​Enchanted April!

The University of Wisconsin – La Crosse Department of Theatre Arts is proud to present the Tony-nominated play ​Enchanted April
​ by Michael Barber, a gentle and romantic comedy of four women’s journeys to self discovery and empowerment. ​Enchanted April
​ will run ​November 30-December 1 & December 6-8, 2018 at 7:30 p.m. and December 2 & 9, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. in the Toland Theatre located in the Center for the Arts on the UWL campus.

In 1920s post-WWI society, two frustrated London housewives, Lotty Wilton and Rose Arnott, decide to rent a villa in Italy for a holiday – without their husbands. The housewives recruit two ladies, an elderly widow Mrs. Graves and young, beautiful socialite Caroline Bramble, to split the finances and join in the fun of an Italian holiday. With the arrival of two chastened husbands and one attractive young artist, romance blooms again. Against the backdrop of a country still reeling from World War I, ​Enchanted April
​ offers to its characters, and viewers, a necessary balm of sunshine and renewal.​ Among the wisteria blossoms and the Mediterranean sunshine these four ladies form unlikely friendships, redefine and strengthen their marriages, and rediscover themselves in the process.

Enchanted April,

based off the novel by Elizabeth von Arnim, was adapted into an Academy Award nominated and Golden Globe Award winning movie in 1992. Daily Variety described ​Enchanted April
​ as “A comical, restorative journey of discovery…from darkness to light, from inhibition to unrestrained joy. Beautiful and theatrically rewarding.”
Female empowerment plays a major role in ​Enchanted April
​ , especially in regards to the two main characters of Lotty Wilson and Rose Arnott. Sarah Coppenbarger, who plays the role of Lotty Wilson, is a senior Musical Theatre major, talks about the show: “I think the two women of the story are in the process of taking control of their own lives, blossoming, loving, and living on their own terms is a huge part of ​Enchanted April.
​ The characters are beginning to be able to experience life the way they want to, which for them does not mean they no longer want their lives and their husbands anymore, but instead they are asserting themselves and demanding equal footing for the first time. I think ​Enchanted April
​ is a great example of female empowerment because it shows that empowerment doesn’t mean doing it all alone. The empowerment we feel enables us to become more confident and in return helps strengthen our relationships with others.”
“People should come see ​Enchanted April
​ because it is a bright spot in a dark time, providing a lot of beauty and joy. ​ ​I think people will walk away feeling lighter and hopeful. That no matter what they are facing in their lives, it will be okay and there will be an after.”

IF YOU GO: WHO:​​ UW-La Crosse Department of Theatre Arts WHAT​​: ​Enchanted April
​ by Michael Barber WHEN: ​​November 30-December 1 & December 6-8, 2018 at 7:30 p.m. and December 2 & 9, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. WHERE:​​ Toland Theater, Center for the Arts, 333 N. 16th Street, La Crosse, WI 54601 COST:​​ $18 adults; $16 seniors citizens/non UW-L students; $6 UW-L students. Tickets may be purchased online at​ ​www.uwlax.edu/theatre-arts​. In person/phone reservations begin November 29 by calling 608-785-8522. Box office hours are Monday through Friday 1:00-4:30 p.m. and one hour prior to each performance. CAST: ​​Alec Bercham, Sarah Coppenbarger, Emily Farebrother, Sarah Lambert, Grant Latus, Evan Medd, Katie Piper, Maddie Stoffel CREW: ​​Jeanne Wilcoxon (Director), Rachel Krause (Stage Manager), Mandy Kolbe (Scenic Designer), Ben Golden (Lighting Designer), Lexi Mitchell (Sound Designer), Christian Sontag (Technical Director), Joe Anderson (Costume/Makeup Designer)