Club Close-Up: PERIOD@UWL

Period: The Menstrual Movement Logo

Retrieved from https://uwlmyorgs.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/perioduwl

Liv Swanson, General Assignment Reporter

PERIOD@UWL has been in development since November 2019, and within the last month has become an official organization at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. According to Juliette Moushon, the president and founder of PERIOD@UWL, the group is working to normalize the conversation around menstruation.   

Moushon said the goals of the organization are to: “Educate, advocate and empower individuals who menstruate on menstruation, sexual health and the importance of using sustainable products while also breaking down the stigma surrounding menstruation.” 

PERIOD@UWL began after Moushon became inspired by a short documentary, Period: End of Sentencethat covered the topic of period poverty in India.  

“It [Period: End of Sentence] focuses on period poverty and the stigma surrounding periods in India, talking specifically to young women who menstruate there. They start their own company making sustainable pads that will absorb longer and it really focuses on how in some countries menstruation is the end of a women’s educational career,” said Moushon. “That really struck something in me and I’ve always been really interested in public health.” 

Moushon then decided to hold a period product drive last year in Coate Hall where she was RA. The drive collected 2,500 period products which they were able to donate to New Horizons Shelter and Outreach Centers. 

“I decided I wanted to make that an annual event,” said Moushon. “Then I had the thought, ‘Why not make it official?’” 

PERIOD@UWL hosts bi-weekly meetings on Mondays from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Wimberly Hall, room 126. The next meeting will take place on March 2. 

“Even if people don’t want to be committed members, we have a large amount of volunteer-based opportunities as well,” said Moushon. 

The members of PERIOD@UWL are setting goals to end the stigma behind the conversation of menstruation and spread education to students at UWL. 

“As a public health and community health education major, my personal goals for PERIOD@UWL are to create a safe space where students and community members can educate themselves and each other,” said Isabella Beach,  vice president oPERIOD@UWL“I want to spread both knowledge and support because no one bleeds alone.”  

“I believe it’s important to have an organization like this on campus because everyday people who menstruate face an alarming stigma. There are so many interesting and informative conversations that people miss out on because they include taboo topics,” said Beach. “I have a problem with the word taboo because menstruation is a natural process. We talk about breathing, so why shouldn’t we talk about menstruating?”  

PERIOD@UWL welcomes all studentsand is focused on encouraging students to join.  

“I would encourage students to join PERIOD@UWL for a number of reasons. It’s a great place to get educated yourself, or to simply have a safe, open place to share your stories,” said Beach. “We are open to anyone and everyone joining PERIOD@UWL to help make a difference, even those who don’t menstruate. It’s all about building community, whether that means just within our group, the community at large, or globally.” 

“It is important to note that we try to do everything with a very inclusive lens. So we do recognize that it is not only women who menstruate and not everyone who menstruates is a woman,” said Moushon. 

PERIOD@UWL will be hosting another period product drive throughout the month of March. There will be collection boxes all around campus including in residence halls, the Campus Climate office, and offices in each building. PERIOD@UWL is hoping to raise 5,000 products to donate.  

“If you’re interested in PERIOD@UWL, you can participate at any level,” said Beach. “During the month of March we are doing period product drive, and even donating makes a huge impact. Coming to meetings and sharing your voice in these spaces is also impactful. We are also open to members working in leadership positions, as this organization is based on cooperation.”   

“I think it [menstruation] is one of those things that isn’t talked about. There’s a lot of stigma behind it, even though it is something that half of the population goes through on a regular basis,” said Moushon. “We also avoid the topic of period disorders. It’s just not a normal thing, so I think getting comfortable in the way you talk about periods, asking questions or recognizing when things aren’t normal with your period is an easy way to get involved and make a difference.” 

To learn more about PERIOD@UWL visit their MyOrgs page or email them at, [email protected].