Campus buildings to be locked 24 hours a day due to COVID-19

Photo by Carly Rundle-Borchert.

Sam Stroozas, Executive Editor

At 2:51 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17, Bob Hetzel, the vice chancellor of administration and finance sent out an email regarding building usage at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse in the wake of COVID-19.

“As UWL continues to take preventative measures to address the COVID-19 virus, I wanted to let you know that all campus buildings will be locked 24 hours a day for the foreseeable future. This health and safety precaution will be effective as of 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17th.

Please note that access to campus buildings will be provided as follows:

• Faculty and staff will continue to have access to their assigned building with their university ID card.
  • Students will be able to access the computer labs in Rooms 15 & 17 of the Wing Technology Center with their university ID card, daily from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Students, faculty, and staff will be able to access the Student Union with their university ID card from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.”

To summarize, the only building students will be able to access are computer labs in Rooms 15 and 17 of Wings Technology Center and the Student Union with an Eagle ID from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. You must have your Eagle ID to access these buildings. This goes into action today at 5 p.m. All other buildings including academic buildings, Murphy Library, the Recreational Eagle Center (REC).

For other updates about UWL and COVID-19, please follow this link: https://www.uwlax.edu/info/covid-19/

The Racquet Press will be updating the UWL community as this story continues.