UWL tentatively reschedules spring commencement for August 22, 2020

Sam Stroozas, Executive Editor

At 3:32 p.m. on Wednesday, April 22, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Provost Besty Morgan emailed all graduating students the plan for virtual commencement on Saturday, May 16 as well as the tentative date for Spring commencement, Saturday, August 22, 2020.

This future date was chosen after all UWL graduating seniors were sent an email survey to decide between August 22, parents weekend, or participating in Winter commencement in December.

To celebrate graduates in May, UWL will be developing an online celebration. Students will be asked to contribute photos and words of encouragement or thanks. When complete, the photos will be displayed in an interactive version for students and family members to share on social media.

On April 27, graduates will be emailed a link to their UWL email to fill out this information. Videos from departments and speakers will also be a part of the online ceremony.

Retrieved from uwlax.edu

In her email, Provost Morgan explained that “the ability to hold commencement will be based entirely on public health guidance and we may need to cancel if large gatherings in August will still be restricted.”

For students who are not able to participate in August, or if the event is canceled due to COVID-19, students can still walk in Winter commencement and they do not have to choose which ceremony they are walking in at this time.

Ordering regalia will be done online and a link will be emailed to students UWL email in the future from the bookstore. If you are not participating in commencement you do not have to order regalia.

Diplomas will be mailed to students permanent address in their WINGS account six weeks after spring grades have been submitted. While diploma holders are usually handed to students as they walk across the stage, students who cannot attend either the tentative August date or Winter commencement date can request their diploma holder to be mailed to them as well.

Provost Morgan also addressed other information that affects graduates. Due to COVID-19, UWL emails will stay valid through December 2020.

All undergraduate students will receive information in the future from textbook rental services about how to return textbooks from the spring semester. Career Services has created a resource for job search during COVID which can be found by following this link.

If a graduating student has post-commencement careers and/or graduate plans, Provost Morgan encouraged them to complete the “first destination survey.”

The Racquet Press will be updating the UWL community with any changes regarding the tentative spring commencement date and all other COVID-19 information.