The student news source of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse

The Racquet Press

The Racquet Press

The Racquet Press

“A Halloween Season Spectacular”: UWL Theatre and Dance presents “Dr. Faustus”

Image+retrieved+from+uwlax.edu.+
Image retrieved from uwlax.edu.

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Department of Theatre and Dance is proud to open its 2023-24 season with “Dr. Faustus” written by Christopher Marlowe. “Dr. Faustus” asks the questions, “Would you sell your soul? And if you would, what for?”

Faustus is a brilliant, yet bitter academic who feels that he has reached the peak of human knowledge and wants a deeper understanding of the universe. He reaches beyond his humanity and makes a deal with the devil, exchanging his immortal soul for twenty-four years of power and absolute knowledge. While Faustus revels in his powers, the clock counts down to his judgement day.

Performances are Oct. 13-14 and 19-21 at 7:30 p.m. with Sunday matinees Oct. 15 and 22 at 2:00 p.m. in the Toland Theatre, Truman Lowe Center for the Arts.

Dr. Nic Barilar. Photo retrieved from uwlax.edu.

Director Dr. Nic Barilar, Assistant Professor of Theatre and Dance at UWL, explained in an interview with The Racquet Press how his direction of “Dr. Faustus” offers a take that doesn’t match typical preconceptions of a Shakespearean-era show.

“I took this script that’s already pretty wild and in some ways made it more wild. It might not match your preconception of what a Shakespeare period show is like at all. Just because the language itself is old doesn’t mean the play is uninteresting or not fun,” said Barilar.

Barilar spent time this summer creating a shorter text that tells the central story in a clear way whilst maintaining the Shakespearean style. “It will be unlike anything any of our audiences have seen maybe ever. Truly,” said Barilar.

One aspect of the show that Barilar leaned into is the horror/Gothic aesthetic that the original show was written in. Barilar talked about how special effects, makeup, and set design all played into the development and rehearsal process for the show. “It’s a live experience kind of like a haunted house, but nobody’s jumping out at you, meets a horror movie,” Barilar said.

Barilar also addressed the philosophical aspect of “Dr. Faustus”, as the show discusses morality and how corruption can happen even if it’s not intended. Barilar said, “Bringing a Gothic lens and style to ‘Dr. Faustus’ allows us to think in similar ways about our own institutions…and ourselves.”

Another aspect of the show different from previous productions is an original score for the show that was written by Dr. David Dies. The poster for the show was also designed in collaboration with art student Ellen Cervantes, as a part of Marc Menke’s, an Assistant Professor of Art at UWL, graphic design course last semester.

When asked about what he would say to students or community members that are skeptical about the show or a theater production itself, Barilar said, “If you think theater isn’t your thing, this might be the perfect opportunity to take a step in, because it’s not going to be your typical theater experience. Audiences should get to experience something that is both of the past but also very of the present. I don’t want it to be this dusty, old play, I want it to be alive and fun.”

Tickets will go on sale online beginning Oct. 1 at www.uwlax.edu/theatre-and-dance. In person/phone ticket sales begin Oct. 9, 2023 at 1:00 p.m. Box office hours beginning Oct. 9 are from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and one hour before show times. Tickets are $20 for adults, $18 for senior/non UWL students and $8 for UWL students; call 608.785.6696. All tickets printed at the box office or held at will call will incur an additional fee. Patrons are encouraged to buy their tickets online and download the tickets to their phone/email.  Your ticket will indicate your assigned seat.

IF YOU GO:

WHO:  University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Department of Theatre and Dance

WHAT: “Dr. Faustus” by Christopher Marlowe

WHERE: Toland Theatre, Lowe Center for the Arts (333 N. 16th Street, La Crosse)

WHEN: Oct. 13-14 & 19-21 at 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 14 & 22 at 2:00 p.m.

COST: $20 adults; $18 seniors citizens/non UW-L students; $8 UW-L students.  Assigned seating.  Tickets may be purchased online at www.uwlax.edu/theatre-and-dance beginning Oct. 1, 2023.  In person/phone reservations begin Oct. 9 by calling 608.785.6696.  Box office hours are Monday through Friday 1:00-3:00 p.m. and one hour prior to each performance.  All tickets printed at the box office or held at will call will incur an additional fee.  Patrons are encouraged to buy their tickets online and download the tickets to their phone/email.

CAST: Ellie Augustine, Nicholas Bilyeu, Edward Doerr, Julian Goldstein, Isaac Gonzales, Ryan Hustedt, Alissa Jackson, Joshua Kaiser, Gavin Muller, Abby Muma, Will Nysse, Kaitlyn Pyburn, Bao Xiong

PRODUCTION TEAM:  Nic Barilar (Director), Sage Goetsch (Stage Manager), Mandy Kolbe & August Jennings (Scenic Designers), Sarah Herkert (Guest Lighting Designer), Leo Chavolla (Sound Designer), Joe Anderson (Costume Designer), Amber Meyers & Elin Voegeli (Hair & Makeup Designers), Brodyn Byington (Technical Director), Julia Milne (Props Designer), Laurie Kincman & Val Fish (Dramaturgs), and Sam Kallis (Special Effects)