The student news source of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse

The Racquet Press

The Racquet Press

The Racquet Press

La Crosse Mayor Reynolds visits Student Association to address questions

Image+retrieved+from+uwlax.edu%2Fstudent-association%2F+
Image retrieved from uwlax.edu/student-association/

On Wednesday, Nov. 1, the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Student Association (SA) met with La Crosse Mayor Mitch Reynolds. During his time with SA, Reynolds spoke about the impact UWL has on the La Crosse community, student voter turnouts and preserving the Mississippi River. Later in the meeting, SA swore in the new State Affairs Director and new International Student Organization Senator. 

Mayor Reynolds stated how much of an impact students at UWL make on the City of La Crosse and how important it is to have students actively involved in different aspects of the community. “You provide an energy and a spark to our community that we wouldn’t otherwise have,” said Reynolds.

In April 2021, Reynolds won the La Crosse mayoral race with 4,655 votes equating to 50.96% of the total votes. In total, 9,134 votes were cast during the April 2021 La Crosse mayoral election, this number being less than UWL’s entire student body population of 9,379. Assuming these numbers stay consistent in the next mayoral election in 2025, students at UWL could effectively select the next mayor of La Crosse if they show up to the polls.

Reynolds also spoke about the Mississippi River Cities and Towns Initiative (MRCTI) stating the importance of being an advocate for the MRCTI at the national level as well as the importance of enacting the Mississippi River Compact, a compact that would provide legal protections for the Mississippi River and its resources. 

When asked what the city is doing to create a more bike-friendly environment, Reynolds stated that he and the city are currently working on a ten-year plan to implement more bike and pedestrian spaces and paths throughout the city. 

Reynolds also spoke about the number of deaths in La Crosse and throughout La Crosse County that are a result of drug overdoses, about 40 this year. He continued that the city relies heavily on its first responders as a reactionary force, while the county serves more of a preventative role. 

Reynolds addressed the housing crisis that students and the La Crosse community are facing, stating that he plans to use city resources to build more housing for everyone who needs it. His philosophy is that creating more supply will cause the demand and price of housing to drop.

William Schauberger was sworn in as the new State Affairs Director during the SA meeting, and Swasthika Selvakumar was sworn in as the new International Student Organization Senator. SA also finished appointing members to each of its committees.