The student news source of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse

The Racquet Press

The Racquet Press

The Racquet Press

Dr. James Beeby named 11th chancellor of UWL

Photo taken from the Keene State College website.

On March 13, the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents unanimously approved Dr. James Beeby as the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse’s 11th chancellor. Beeby, currently serving as the provost and vice president for academic affairs at Keene State College in New Hampshire, will assume the role of chancellor on July 1 and will have a salary of $281,112.

During his tenure at Keene State, Beeby developed new undergraduate and graduate programs, collaborated with students, faculty and staff to enhance retention and graduation rates, fostered relationships with local businesses and engaged in collaborative projects with system institutions focusing on student success, mental health, program development and software implementation.

Prior to his role at Keene State University, Beeby served as dean of the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Southern Indiana and held positions as a professor and chair in the Department of History at Middle Tennessee State University. Beeby has authored works in the fields of U.S. southern history, African American history, race relations and the Gilded Age and Progressive Era, including two university press peer-reviewed books.

Beeby holds a bachelor’s degree with honors in history from the University of Wales (United Kingdom), as well as a master’s and Ph.D. degrees in American culture studies from Bowling Green State University (Ohio).

In an interview with the Racquet Press, Beeby shared his background as a first-generation college student from a small village in eastern England who arrived in the United States in 1993 for graduate school. His original plan was to stay for one year but ended up staying for 31 years and became an American citizen.

Outside academia, Beeby enjoys various activities including walking, cycling, traveling, attending live music events, visiting theaters, movies, art galleries, and museums, as well as reading, following world affairs, cooking, baking, hiking and playing cricket, a sport he played in college.

“I do not have much spare time these days, but I always try to spend it with friends and family, sharing a meal and enjoying stimulating conversation,” said Beeby. “One of my favorite things to do is talking with friends and colleagues in a local coffee shop and spending time visiting with one another. I look forward to doing that in La Crosse and on campus.”

Beeby’s decision to join UWL stems form its reputation within Wisconsin and across the region. “UWL’s mission really speaks to me, and the university is strong and vibrant and plays a pivotal role in the success of the region and the state. It was clear to me that UWL values academic excellence, engagement with the surrounding region and being student-centered in all that it does.”

During his visit to campus, he noted the dedication to student success among faculty and staff. “The energy and determination of all those on campus and in the external community to see a successful UWL was palpable and very inspiring,” said Beeby. “I was also very impressed with the students that I met on my visit and how much they enjoy their time at UWL, their educational journey, and the friends that they made and the wonderful school spirit.”

Beeby enjoyed his time touring the area and seeing what a special place La Crosse is. He thought La Crosse was a welcoming city with a strong community spirit and a lively downtown.

Beeby also expressed his enjoyment of La Crosse, describing it as a welcoming city with a strong community and a lively downtown. “I am excited to get to know everyone on campus… I am also very excited to meet with students and hear firsthand from them about their dreams and hopes for the future,” he said. “I cannot wait to get started. I am humbled and honored by this opportunity to serve the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.”

Beeby’s immediate priority is building relationships, familiarizing himself with the campus and La Crosse community and crafting a shared vision for UWL’s future.

“This is a critical first step in order for me to understand the challenges and opportunities that are ahead,” said Beeby. “My hope is that UWL continues to be an institution of choice for students, focused on academic excellence, and a campus that is welcoming and where there is a strong sense of community and belonging for all students. It is also important that UWL continues to collaborate effectively within the Universities of Wisconsin system and with all the universities in the system so that we truly meet the needs of the state.”