Volleyball team upsets #8 ranked Whitewater

Dustin Skolaski, Staff Reporter

The UW-La Crosse Volleyball Team continued their impressive season by sweeping 8th ranked UW-Whitewater Wednesday night in Mitchell Hall.  

UW-L came into the night with just one WIAC conference loss and were coming against a UW-W team that was hot to say the least, they entered the evening with a 16-match winning streak.

UW-L opened up the first set by going on a run to take a 15-7 lead.  UW-W would cut it closer but at 18-16, UW-L would pull away and take the first set 25-19.

The second set was much closer and UW-L is no stranger to winning games in every which way, whether it be in a blowout, a come from behind victory or even overtime wins this team has done it all so a drag it out battle against a top 10 team didn’t phase the Eagles.  This game was tight the entire way through with no team gaining momentum to carry a run.  Sophomore Stephanie Henk’s kill late in the game gave UW-L a 23-22 lead and UW-W committed hitting errors to end the game and give UW-L the set and a 2-0 advantage.

UW-L, looking to put away UW-W in straight sets, found themselves trailing but key plays from Senior Leah Putzier and Junior Ashley Entinger found the Eagles with another advantage and one they would not look back from as they would finalize the sweep with a sound 25-17 victory.

Head coach Lilly Hallock has been very excited about her team this season.

“This (win) helps show other people of how are our team already feels,” said Hallock.  “We know we have the potential to do great things this season and I think this helps to prove that to the outside world.  This just confirms what we already know what we are capable of doing.”

UW-L also clinched at least a share of the 2015 WIAC title after their Friday victory against UW-Platteville.  UW-L’s next game will be Friday, Nov. 6 in the WIAC Championship Semifinals with a TBA location.