UWL Soccer Prevails in 3-2 OT Win

UWL+Sophomore+Alex+Graeber+battles+Augustana+Senior+Mady+Huber+for+possession+

Skyller Smith-Davis

UWL Sophomore Alex Graeber battles Augustana Senior Mady Huber for possession

Skyller Smith-Davis, Sports Reporter

The game took two overtimes, but University of Wisconsin La Crosse Women’s Soccer Eagles came out on top, winning 3-2 against Augustana College Vikings on Saturday, September 16, 2017. The women extended their undefeated streak for the year to the tune of a 4-0-2 record on the year.  

“Going into the game out team knew it was going to a physical game and we were ready to work to get the results we wanted,” stated UW-L Sophomore and midfielder Alex Graeber.  

UWL Freshman Kaitlyn Villars broke the goose egg of the scoreboard in the 19th minute of the affair. With the assist from UW-L Senior, Hayley Stephens., Villars scored on a 23-yard boot from the right corner of the penalty area across the field into the left side of the goal.  

UWL controlled the first half with 13 shots and six on goal plus five corners to Augustana’s four shots all four on goal and one corner.  

Augustana started the half pressuring UWL under the light sprinkles of rain, but the Eagles defense lead by defender UW-L Junior Megan Carroll and midfielder Graeber left the Vikings scoreless the 16 minutes of the second half. 

The Vikings eventually prevailed and scored in the 66th minute with a rebound kick by Augustana Sophomore Anna Fank off an attempted free kick by Augustana Junior Abby Wendell.  

In the 82nd minute the Vikings broke the tie with a goal by Freshman Cameron Kekelik off a rebounded header attempted by Augustana Freshman Jenna Dvorak.  

The Eagles answered quickly in the 84th minute off the head of UWL Junior Margaret Harings, assisted by Junior Mary Mansker off a corner kick. 

“Going into overtime out team was determined to work for the win,” said Graeber, “We had a lot of drive, having gone into overtime two times already [this year], and I did not think we were going to let this time end in a tie.” 

Overtime started with the Eagles aggressively attacking the Vikings, racking up the corner kicks but unable to push anything past the Vikings’ Freshman goalkeeper Sydney Ion.  

After the first ten-minutes of overtime, the teams remained tied. The second overtime only lasted three minutes with a goal by UWL Junior Maya Schmitt with an assist by VIllars. The goal in the 103rd minute of play secured the long-awaited victory for the Eagles. 

“When Maya’s goal went in I felt so proud of not only her, but our team as well for putting in the work to finish the game and getting the win,” said Graeber.  

The Eagles finished the game with 36 shots with 14 on goal to the Vikings 16 shots and 11 on goal.  Improving the 4-0-2 on the season the Eagles look forward to hosting Wartburg College later this week on Wednesday September, 20 at 7 p.m.