Eagles Remain Undefeated: Beat Carroll 41-6

UWL+faced+Carroll+University+this+past+Saturday+

Callie Heinrich

UWL faced Carroll University this past Saturday

Callie Heinrich, Sports Reporter

The University of Wisconsin La Crosse Football team faced off against Carroll University this past Saturday at Veterans Memorial Stadium. In the 92-degree heat, the Eagles were successful in the defense of their home turf.

The Eagles defense stopped the Pioneers at 4th down and kicked a 26-yard field goal within the first 5 minutes. With a 3-point lead, it took only three minutes for the Eagles to score again, as Sophomore Cole Spieker ran in for the touchdown after a 19-yard pass from Senior Tarek Yaeggi.

After a reception by Senior Ryan Kruser, the Eagles were within three yards of the end zone. With the snap of the ball and a quick handoff, Sophomore Trenton Smith rushed straight through the defense for the touchdown. The successful extra point made it a 17-point game.

Just before the half, the Eagles flew completed a 64-yard drive in just eight plays with a Senior Troy Bailey touchdown increasing UWL’s lead 24-0.

After the break at half, the UWL football team took their place on the field. The Pioneers defense could not stop Smith as he scored his second touchdown of the game on the opening possession to extend their lead to 31 – 0.

With a failed attempt by the Pioneers to complete a first down, the Eagle’s special team lined up to receive the punt. With nine minutes left in the 3rd quarter, Kruser returned a punt for a 58-yard Eagle touchdown.

However, the Eagles were unable to hold The Pioneers to zero, as they scored with 38 seconds left on the clock in the third quarter. With a failed extra point by Carroll, the Eagles held a 32-point lead.

As the fourth quarter reached the nine-minute mark, Freshman Bryce Wesling was able to hit a career high field goal from 39 yards out. This was the last time the Eagles had the opportunity to score. The game ended in a victory for the Eagles, defeating Carroll University 41-6.

When asked how the Eagles overpowered the Pioneers, UWL Head Coach Mike Schmidt simply put, “This was a total team win”. He continued to add, “Offensively, we were very efficient. Our defense totally derailed their offense. Special Teams played a huge role with some great returns and a blocked kick. Our guys fought through some adverse weather conditions with the heat and I’m extremely proud of their effort.”

Although the Offense shined on the field with 481 in total yardage, the defense was able to shut down their opponent’s offense, allowing them to only score once. Senior Linebacker Noah Risch commented “Defensively, we stuck to our game plan and played really well.”

“We move into WIAC action with UW Stevens Point next week. It’s always an honor to play for first place in the WIAC. Our guys will be ready and our coaches will have a great game plan up,” remarked Schmidt.

The next contest at home for the Eagles is in a conference match up on October 7th as they play the Blugolds of UW-Eau Claire.