UWL Football Undefeated in WIAC Play

UWL Eagles were victorious against the Blugolds Saturday

Callie Heinrich

Callie Heinrich

Callie Heinrich, Sports Reporter

On Saturday, Oct 7, the University of Wisconsin La Crosse Eagles football team faced off against the Blugolds of Eau Claire. Parents and students filled the stands as it was UWL’s Family Weekend and the annual homecoming game.  

Right out the gate, the Eagles started with a blocked punt by UWL Junior Cole Spieker who recovered the ball in the end zone for a UWL touchdown. The team took the lead to make it 7-0. 

The second scoring opportunity was not long after. With a 27-yard pass to the far corner of the end zone, UWL Senior Tarek Yaeggi completed the pass to UWL Senior Nick Holcomb with the defense tailing closely behind to make it a 14-point game.  

As the Blugolds received the punt at the 20-yard line, however, they were unable to make it to their territory before UWL Senior Luke Winnen intercepted an intended pass to the receiver and returned it for a 28-yard touchdown.   

After a 21-yard field goal by UWL Freshman Bryce Wesling, Spieker scored his second touchdown of the game. Spieker was wide open in the end zone for 20-yard completion by Yaeggi. 

As the time elapsed in the first half, UWEC was able to score against the Eagles making it a 24 point game after the successful field goal attempt. Before that, the Eagles had held the Blugolds to six total yards on 25 plays.  

Coming back from half time, neither UWL or UWEC scored during the third quarter. However, the Eagles were able to score twice in the fourth quarter with touchdowns from both UWL Senior Troy Bailey and Holcomb.  

The Eagles ended the game with the win, finishing with 423 total yards, including 290 passing, and 133 rushing. Defensively, UWL Junior Jacob Krueger ended with 12 tackles and Senior Noah Risch with 10.  

As stated by Krueger, “Today’s game was just another incredible effort by all of the guys. I think our preparation and focus shown through the most today and our energy and love for each other carried us through the game”. 

Last year UWL lost the matchup against UWEC 14 to 20. “We lost a heartbreaker last year to UWEC so we definitely were not going to let them come into our house and repeat that,” explained Krueger  

Next week, the Eagles face UW-Whitewater in an away game. The Warhawks are a six-time national championship team, however the Eagles are hoping to keep their winning streak. 

“As far as this week upcoming goes, we are going to treat them like any other team. We are going to bring the same level of energy and preparation next Friday as we have been bringing in recent games,” stated Krueger. 

After three away games, the Eagles will host the Blue Devils of University of Wisconsin – Stout on Nov 4.