Sport Club Spotlight: Men’s Lacrosse

Courtesy of Men’s Club Team

Callie Heinrich, Sports Reporter

The fastest game on two feet is also one of the fastest growing sports in America. That sport is Lacrosse and it is one of the 25 club activities offered at UW- La Crosse. 

The Men’s Lacrosse team plays in the Great Lakes Lacrosse League which is comprised of teams throughout the UW system as well as teams from Minnesota. On occasion, UWL faces teams from Iowa, Illinois, and Michigan as well. 

The typical season consists of eight regular season games and includes a post-season tournament located in Madison, WI. Aside from that, the team partakes in a number of non-conference games as well as tournaments throughout the state.  

As the team continues through its fall season, President and Team Captain, Joel Vitrano urges those interested in joining the team to attend practices. “The UWL Men’s Lacrosse club welcomes veterans and new players alike. Lacrosse is an amazing game to play that combines elements from soccer, basketball, and hockey into a sport all its own”. 

The UWL Men’s Lacrosse team is also in need of additional players for the 2018 season. “Our current roster going into Spring is looking at about 18 with another handful of students who expressed interest during Rec Fest. The club would ideally like around 25 players so there is definitely room for more on the team” added Vitrano. 

Joining the UWL Men’s La Crosse does not only allow one to participate in a club sport, but also opens the door to leadership and professional development opportunities. As a club athlete, fundraising, self-management, and leadership are various aspects of participation.  

Vitrano expressed his own leadership opportunities by stating, “I joined the club my freshmen year through Rec Fest. I became President going into my Junior year through election by our former board members” he continued, “they felt I would be committed to the position and the club would be left in good hands after their graduations”. 

“In my time as President, I have helped the club acquire almost two thousand dollars in new helmets and we are currently in the process of hopefully another thousand dollar grant for the last of our helmet needs. In addition to new equipment, I’ve helped schedule an additional eight games over the past two Fall Ball seasons”. 

Additionally, players are able to experience a higher paced game at a collegiate level as opposed to high school play and develop skills such as commitment, responsibility, and team work which is essential for success not just on the field, but in the classroom and workforce.  

Those interested in joining can contact President Joel Vitrano at [email protected] or at [email protected] for more information.