Q&A with Student Association President Sita Agterberg

Luis Acosta Jr., Student Government Reporter

Sita Agterberg, Student Association (SA) president, leads the meetings every Wednesday at student senate along with her Vice President, Dana Nielsen. Originally from the Milwaukee area, she came to the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse on an athletic endeavor, competing for the cross country team for one year before opting to focus on her academics and her role within UWL. 

Below, President Agterberg answered a few questions regarding her role on campus, her goals and her passion for doing what she deems a benefit for UWL.

Q: Where are you from?  

A: The Milwaukee area. 

Q: What are some things you like to do in your free time?  

A: I spend most of my free time working on senate, running, and rock climbing.  

Q: What do you study?  

A: I’m a biology major and psychology minor.  

Q: What do you consider your “core values?” 

A: Empathy and honesty 

Q: What are you most proud of accomplishing during your time on senate 

A: Creating the women of color scholarship and endowment fund, which saw $5,000 in its first year. I’m really looking forward to helping inclusivity director Faith Fischer fundraise for it this semester.  

Q: What would you say motivates you the most in your role 

A: I love UWL and I want to make campus better in any way possible. I think the people that I’ve met here in my 4 years have made me want to advocate for change on this campus. 

Q: Are you a part of any other organization on campus?  

A: I am an active member of Asian Student Organization (ASO). I also volunteer for Habitat for Humanity whenever I find time with my busy schedule 

Q: How do you think this experience as the Student Association president will benefit you in your professional career?  

A: I’ve had a lot of people ask me why I do senate, since it doesn’t directly pertain to physical therapyI’d argue that knowhow for basic communication will benefit my relationships with patients, as well as help me with a possible administrative position in the future 

Q: What advice would you give to those who are interested in getting involved with senate?  

A: Join us this semester. We have 2 seats open for the College of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CASSH). If you don’t have enough time this semester, please consider running for senate after spring break. Get yourself 25 signatures and you’ll be allowed to run. If you are interested in the issues that senate discusses, but you don’t feel as though you have enough time to be on senate, you can join a committee. They are a smaller time commitment and a great way to get involved with issues on campus.  

Q: What does student government mean to you? What’s is its importance?  

A: Student government allows students to have a voice on campus. Wisconsin has shared governance which means that students have an input on what happens on campus, and it’s important for us to advocate for those voices. 

Q: Is there anything that you would change about UWL 

A: Yes, there are always ways to make campus better for students. Some of the initiatives that I would like to pursue include a vaccination policy for UWL, establishing an advising program for student advising, and improving housing for both off and on-campus students.  

Q: What do you think needs to be done more effectively in senate?  

A: I think we need to figure out new ways to communicate with constituents and increase publicity about Student Association. I would also love to see more collaboration between senators.  

Q: How do you solve problems best, in a group setting or individually?  

A: I usually solve problems best in a group setting. I like to hear what other people’s opinions are as I tend to take other opinions into account when formulating my own. I appreciate informed conversations that help solve issues. 

Q: In which areas do you wish to see more student involvement? 

A: I would love to hear more students voice their concerns about UWL, and to advocate for students in the College of Science and Health run for senate. 

Q: Were you surprised by anything after you took over as president?  

A: I was impressed to see how much administration was willing to help us with the initiatives we created. Larry Ringgenberg is a pivotal source of support.   

Q: What influences do you bring to your role? What inspires you? 

A: I think my time with multicultural student organizations helped me develop my leadership and got me involved on campus. Thomas Harris, the assistant director of the office of multicultural student services (OMSS), has been an inspiration and encouraged me to run for president. His work on inclusivity and diversity and his support throughout my time at UWL has inspired me overall  

Upon graduation this springAgterberg will be attending UW-Milwaukee to pursue a doctorate in physical therapy, something she looks forward to, as it allows her to attend the same university where her father has taught physics for 19 years. “I’m excited about this new chapter in my life and to stay in the UW system, Agterberg said.  

If you have any questions for Agterberg regarding general student life, email her at [email protected]. You can also visit her during her office hours in the OMSS or Campus Climate offices on Wednesdays from a.m to 10 a.mand the Student unionroom 2244, from p.m to p.m on Mondays, and 3 p.m to 5 p.m Wednesday evenings.