The scary truth about E-cigs: We don’t know the truth just yet

Tyler Frickson, Associate Reporter

Few can go through an entire day without being introduced to cigarettes and smoking. Even with all of its well documented dangers and warnings, there is a newcomer that has begun to make waves in the local community: e-cigarettes. Though relatively recent in the last decade, they have begun to become more prevalent around campus. These health risks are commonly associated with different chemicals found in cigarettes such as tar, tobacco and nicotine. When compared to e-cigarettes, the dangers between the two become blurred due to a few major factors. According to Gail McCormick, a lecturer on Health Education and Health Promotion, “E-cigarettes are not approved by the FDA, therefore the nicotine levels are not documented.” This, essentially, makes it impossible for the public to be aware of which chemicals are being placed into their bodies as well as their potency. Big tobacco companies are aware of this, and have taken the approach to label e-cigarette products with health warnings stating the dangers of using these products. Though these labels tend to run over 100 words, they tend to state people who have unstable heart conditions or other heart related diseases should not use e-cigarettes. They also raise the risk for various cancers when used. UW-La Crosse has begun to see an increased use of these products, whether on the sidewalk, or in some cases, the classroom. So why are students being drawn into this fad? McCormick stated, “The allure of popularity and multiple flavor varieties have helped to draw a younger crowd to [e-cigarettes].” By painting a picture of popularity with e-cigarettes, it helps to draw more students into the fad by believing it will make them more popular with their peers. There have been several discreet design strategies to draw students in, such as a pencil disguise. This allows students to carry e-cigarettes into the classroom and employ them as writing utensils, as well as a personal smoking device, without anyone being the wiser. This same strategy can also be applied in the workplace, with accounts of e-cigarettes being disguised as pens. Another equally effective method that can be attributed to e-cigarettes is the variety of different flavors that they offer. From bubblegum to cotton candy and beyond, these different flavors are typically ones attractive to the younger generation. In the end, the community is playing a dangerous game when it comes to tangoing with e-cigarettes. From the unregulated chemicals within the product, to the wide variety of flavors offered and the “cool” persona that television ads use to pressure young people, it is imperative that people become more aware of what they choose to indulge in.