The student news source of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse

The Racquet Press

The Racquet Press

The Racquet Press

Letter to the Editor: Vote Emma Latus and Avery Winders for Student Association leadership

Image+retrieved+from+uwlax.edu%2Fstudent-association%2F.+
Image retrieved from uwlax.edu/student-association/.

Want something to change at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse? Ready for Prairie Springs 2.0 to happen and Cowley’s, let’s say unique characteristics, to finally disappear? Want to know what’s going on at UWL, behind the scenes and in plain sight? Well, we may not have $150 million to build Prairie Springs 2.0 or a set of spies roaming around campus, but what we do have is our Student Association. Our Student Association’s numerous elected and appointed members attend meetings frequently, gather weekly in Senate meetings, and above all else, advocate for the students at UWL. After all, the students are the most important part of our university and should be at the center of every decision. 

My name is Avery Winders, and I am studying Business Analytics and Leadership Development. I am running for vice-president of UWL Student Association for the upcoming 2024-2025 election taking place on April 16, 2024. My main priorities for the term are advocating for students’ needs, bridging the gap between administration and students and enhancing the UWL experience for current and future generations. I have been involved with Student Association as a College of Science and Health (CSH) Senator since the Fall of 2023 but have been engaged in discussions and Student Association-related topics since starting here in Fall of 2021. 

This next term is unlike any that have come before it, with many new faces joining our campus. Some of those include a new Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor of D&I, Vice-Chancellor of Admin and Finance and numerous other positions. During this time of transition, it is imperative that myself, President Latus (who is also running for re-election alongside myself) and Student Association as a whole form relationships that promote shared governance and equal representation. We believe under our leadership, your Student Association can foster connections, increase engagement and utilize its governing power to ensure all students’ voices are heard and recognized. 

Additionally, in this upcoming term, we plan to improve communication through initiatives such as a newsletter explaining our activities in Student Association, campus opportunities and insider insights on what’s happening at UWL. If you have suggestions for improving communication or the Student Association as a whole, don’t hesitate to reach out. We value all input from students. 

So why does this matter to you? The Student Association election is on April 16, 2024, through a digital ballot sent to all students via their UWL email address. We ask that you consider Emma Latus for president and Avery Winders for vice-president of your UWL Student Association. We look forward to seeing everyone in the Fall because, regardless of the outcome, we will remain active members of the UWL Campus Community. 

Sincerely, 

Avery Winders
[email protected]
636-222-1593
04/04/2024